PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] A safe installation of more fancy DE's in Ubuntu Studio

sirriffsalot
March 9th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Hello!

Although Xfce is a balanced and efficient DE, I would prefer something slightly more fancy, not for pretentious fetishes, but simply because it gives a better feel for one who is doing a lot of recording and editing. I am also least accustomed to Xfce, so here's where the trouble begins.

Last time when I tried getting Unity or GNOME working, it so messed things up that application windows were missing their frames for moving things around, et cetera, that to save time looking for the answer to all of the individual problems I reinstalled Ubuntu Studio and I am now with only an Xfce DE.

Like I said something more fancy and familiar is wished, but is there any way of telling those DE's not to interfere with Xfce at all? So that if things go down the drain with Unity or any other DE you might recommend, I can simply turn to Xfce without complications? For some reason Xfce was in several ways affected by these other desktop environments, so an explanation for why and potential solutions would be great!

Cheers!

--> Leo

sgx
March 10th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I use E17, because its easy to populate a transparent taskbar with the icons I use, and in the order I choose, and of the size I like. The main menus are under the mousepointer on the deskop, less mouse rolling saves repetitive stress fatigue. I use a couple kde and gnome apps, and E17 seems to function nicely on top of it all.

The many config panels can open on top of each other, so I just drag them aside, when changing settings, which is a rarity, once set up as
desired. Many fine themes are available, and a very wide array of desktop
gizmos, if desired.
Cheers

sirriffsalot
March 12th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks mate, will check it out! Thanks for taking time:)

sgx
March 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Bodhi linux is based on unbuntu, uses E17 by default, small iso
around 400 meg, test as a live CD would be painless. Or install to
a usbstick. The a/v apps can be installed by synaptic.

http://www.bodhilinux.com/gallerydotw.php#4 eyecandy

http://www.bodhilinux.com/download.php download

Cheers