PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye iPod Touch, Hello Sansa Fuze +

UnknownFearNG
March 9th, 2012, 09:48 PM
So I was tinkering around with both Banshee and Rhythmbox trying to get my iPod Touch to work. I looked online everywhere with no luck. The applications see the device but when I drag and drop music on it, the progress bar appears in the program, but the device doesn't acknowledge that it's syncing music. So, after a few searches for a better media player, I decided to get the SanDisk Sansa Fuze+. Gotta say, pretty impressed with the performance. Sure, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the iDevices has, but who needs them when I have my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I got the 8 GB device, but it supports a 32GB MicroSD/HC card, which I also bought. In total, spent roughly ~$150.

What media devices do you guys have?

Version Dependency
March 9th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I have both an Ipod and a Sansa Fuze. When I first got into Linux, I had the same problems getting Ipod to work...so I went with the Sansa Fuze that is often recommended on these forums. It worked great. Much later, I eventually discovered a program called gtkpod (believe it's in the software center) that makes adding/removing music ont he Ipod a breeze.

drawkcab
March 9th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Last summer I bought an 8gb Sansa Clip+ which I upgraded to 40 gb for $50. It's tiny and sounds fantastic--good for workouts or in the car.

I still have my old Iriver h1xx series for ultimate sound fidelity but I rarely use it these days unless I'm hanging out at home with my studio headphones.

Jesus_Valdez
March 9th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I have a Clip+ and a 32gb microSD card, it's great for workout and listen to the radio.

I also have an iphone and an ipad, every gadget has its own place and use.

SemiExpert
March 10th, 2012, 12:09 AM
The iPod Touch is very nice touchscreen PDA. There, I said it. There were always better MP3 players, in terms of sound quality, but none that combined a quality touchscreen interface with wireless conectivity. Moreover, there's simply no way to use an iOS device without iTunes. As far as Sandisk, they've produced a number of viable lowend MP3 players. They're cheap, they're flexible, they sound pretty good for the price, you can put RockBox on a number of models, but they aren't all that durable in the long run, but they also aren't all that expensive to replace.

viperdvman
March 10th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I still have my older 4GB E-series Sansa. It's running Rockbox, which allows me to use a 16GB MicroSD card in it. It's worked very well for me despite being a few years old, and still rock solid. I have no reason to replace it as my MP3 player... yet.

wolfen69
March 10th, 2012, 01:04 AM
I wasn't overly impressed with the ipod touch, and sold it. I replaced it with a samsung epic 4G phone I bought for $25 and didn't even activate it as a phone. But I also have a samsung infuse 4G that is used as my phone. Both work great as media players. Personally, I think android is a much better platform than iOS, and is compatible with linux. With the advent of smartphones, I see no need to have a dedicated mp3 player.

UnknownFearNG
March 10th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I find the Sansa Fuze+, dare I say, better sound quality then the iPod Touch in my opinion. And I agree with wolfen69. If my GNex was least 32GB, or supported expandable memory, I would definitely use it as my media player as well as phone.

UnknownFearNG
March 10th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Don't get me wrong, I loved using my iTouch, but since I have officially said my goodbyes to Windows 7 last week, I wanted a fresh start with all my media devices: To run open-source or at least non-proprietary software.

kevdog
March 10th, 2012, 04:15 AM
I wasn't overly impressed with the ipod touch, and sold it. I replaced it with a samsung epic 4G phone I bought for $25 and didn't even activate it as a phone. But I also have a samsung infuse 4G that is used as my phone. Both work great as media players. Personally, I think android is a much better platform than iOS, and is compatible with linux. With the advent of smartphones, I see no need to have a dedicated mp3 player.

How is android more compatible with linux? I used to think so until I got my Galaxy Nexus -- no mass storage and the fuse module stinks!! Yes there is always good old adb, however that interface for everyday use is kludgy at best. I'm hoping this isn't the trend of the future.

wolfen69
March 10th, 2012, 04:44 AM
How is android more compatible with linux? I used to think so until I got my Galaxy Nexus -- no mass storage and the fuse module stinks!! Yes there is always good old adb, however that interface for everyday use is kludgy at best. I'm hoping this isn't the trend of the future.

Every android phone I've seen so far, is. (compatible) But I can't speak for all of them. But then again you can always hack it and put on Cyanogenmod or a custom rom which should take care of that. Btw, don't blame android for any problems, as it's based on linux, blame the manufacturer who adds proprietary bloat to the phone.

UnknownFearNG
March 10th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Btw, don't blame android for any problems, as it's based on linux, blame the manufacturer who adds proprietary bloat to the phone.

Couldn't agree more. I am dissapointed the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have expandable memory, but I find it works flawlessly with Ubuntu.

IWantFroyo
March 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Sansa Fuze 2 Rockbox user here.

BTW, how are you finding the touchpad on the +? I've heard some complaints about it.

viperdvman
March 11th, 2012, 07:29 AM

I use an Infuse 4G as well as my phone. 16GB on the phone plus a 16GB microSD card. I could use it as a secondary mp3 player, but I dunno.

nothingspecial
March 11th, 2012, 08:14 AM
With the advent of smartphones, I see no need to have a dedicated mp3 player.

Sometimes you might want some music but might not want a phone with you.

Bartender
March 11th, 2012, 05:00 PM
For the last coupla years I've used Sansa players at work. I drive a bulldozer. Kinda noisy in the cab. So I use noise-isolating Westone earbuds and a set of Peltor Optime 95 earmuffs over those. Works most of the year, except when it's too hot.

Started with a Fuze. Running a Clip+ right now. Both of them have endured the dust and vibration. I put some of that stick-on plastic screen protector over the displays.

My only gripe is battery life. A coupla guys on the crew have Apple products. Even the tiny nano runs longer on a charge than the Sansa products.

UnknownFearNG
March 11th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Sansa Fuze 2 Rockbox user here.

BTW, how are you finding the touchpad on the +? I've heard some complaints about it.

No complaints here. Wish it was more sensitive (the touch sensors, not the device ;)), but I quite enjoy the little device.