PDA

View Full Version : Do you own a Rasberry pi ?

asifnaz
March 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM
i am really thrilled about this small computer . I just want to know your opinion about it an how a non geek person can use at as a desktop pc

Smilax
March 9th, 2012, 09:25 PM
i don't own one, but i am getting one.

as for using it as a decktop pc,

hdmi cable, your tv, internet cable (or wireless dongle), wireless mouse keyboard combo (logitech has one that both use a single usb reciver), big SD card and you are golden.

you still have one spare usb port.

all in all if your just looking up facebook it's perfect.

markp1989
March 9th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I have ordered one but estimated delivery date isn't until May 2012, Still ain't figured out what I want to do with it yet.

UnknownFearNG
March 9th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I would absolutely love to get my hands on one and try it out. I heard it can run Quake :P Talk about impressive for such a small device!

BeRoot ReBoot
March 9th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I ordered three, it looks like one made it into the first batch, shipping on 26th march.

kevdog
March 10th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I read on ArsTechnica they had to fix all the Rasberry Pi's due to a component problem -- http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/03/raspberry-pi-linux-distro-released-but-the-35-computer-faces-new-delays.ars

Bummer! I guess no one is getting one for awhile!

milkboy007
March 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM
read that too,

hopefuly that wont cause a longer delay
i have been waiting for it for quite awhile:(

MisterGaribaldi
March 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM
This is the first I've heard about it. Just looked at the demo video they have posted. First thought was: why are they basically ripping off design ideas from Apple? The background on a number of their screens is a re-designed version of Apple's "System Preferences" icon, right down to the drilled metal plate panel.

Other than that, I guess it looks interesting enough. But honestly I don't have time to just sit around and watch TV and movies and all that stuff.

markp1989
March 10th, 2012, 05:32 PM
This is the first I've heard about it. Just looked at the demo video they have posted. First thought was: why are they basically ripping off design ideas from Apple? The background on a number of their screens is a re-designed version of Apple's "System Preferences" icon, right down to the drilled metal plate panel.

Other than that, I guess it looks interesting enough. But honestly I don't have time to just sit around and watch TV and movies and all that stuff.

what demo video did you watch!? the Raspberry Pi is nowhere near a rippoff of the apple tv

do you even know what the Raspberry Pi is?

synaptix
March 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
No I do not, nor do I have any interest in getting one.

Paqman
March 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
all in all if your just looking up facebook it's perfect.

Er, you might find running any kind of modern browser in 256MB makes for a less-than-fun internet experience. You'd be very limited in what you could do.

I think they'll really shine as embedded devices or itty bitty servers, but it'll probably really struggle as a desktop PC. It should give the Arduino a good run for it's money though.

By all means, get one. But be aware of it's limitations.

disabled20191128
March 10th, 2012, 06:54 PM
it looks awesome I should get one!

Smilax
March 10th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Er, you might find running any kind of modern browser in 256MB makes for a less-than-fun internet experience. You'd be very limited in what you could do.

as i said, if your just looking up facebook,

your golden.

Lucradia
March 10th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Nope, because I'd rather not order something for International Shipping.

your golden.
Unless the facebook page uses flash, or you need to go on youtube with Flash. (Some YouTube channels force you to use flash, even if you are in HTML5 mode.) I'm also pretty sure the youtube HTML5 player that uses an external program like movie player or parole will not work on channels that force flash.

Paqman
March 10th, 2012, 10:26 PM

your golden.

Well, we'll see once people have them and can report back. It'll be interesting to see how much interest there is in optimising desktops to run on it, or if the main thrust will be from the embedded device community. There may be a certain amount of crossover, I can see people sticking them to the back of monitors to make single-use machines such as weather stations or kitchen computers running a web app in a browser.

matt_symes
March 10th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'm on the waiting list so i should receive it in the year 2020.

I am going to have a look at cross compiling for it after take a look at the fedora image for it.

BeRoot ReBoot
March 10th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Frankly, I don't even care much for its capabilities as a PC. I'm mainly planning to use it as a microcontroller with a built-in dev kit and programmer. Also, based on the power use figures, it could easily run off a few alkaline batteries, which brings up a world of possibilities. I see it as tremendously expanding what you can do with a uC, by simultaneously making it much more powerful and much easier to develop for.

JRV
March 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I want one.

I downloaded the Debian image for it and dd'd it to an SD card.

It uses LDXE, leafpad, pcmanfm, and midori browser.

LowSky
March 12th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I'm on the waiting list too. I can't wait to play with this thing.

Roasted
March 12th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I have ordered one but estimated delivery date isn't until May 2012, Still ain't figured out what I want to do with it yet.

When I get mine in we're going to do some testing on the little guy. We're already converting to Linux at work in a lot of areas (computer labs, etc - school district). This Raspberry Pi thing could be huge... If it can truly do 1080 playback without a hiccup, it can easily handle a lot of the computing tasks we'd throw at it here in an educational environment.