PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Are all updates searched by upload download manager needs to be installed

b4viral
March 9th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Hi,

it is the very first time i have installed Ubuntu[version 11.10] in my system, what i want to know is whenever i connect my laptop to internet the download manager shows me that around 370 new updates are found and some around 976MB data needs to be downloaded, so i just want to get it clarified if i need to download and install all of those or only some of those? if only some of those needs to be downloaded, how to identify which all are required and which all are unnecessary.:confused:

please help.

critin
March 9th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Have you permitted them and still get that many next time? Do you run your computer daily or less often?
I allow the security updates to install automatically by setting it that way. The others I install when I have time. I would think they are all necessary as they only update the apts and programs you are running.

Security updates are important.

b4viral
March 9th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Hi,
i have permitted them and they got installed successfully now i am not getting any updates after that in update manager. Thanks for your reply. one more thing regarding updates, i have seen one link as "Recommended Updates" there was no specific name for the same, what can be that?

critin
March 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Hi,
i have permitted them and they got installed successfully now i am not getting any updates after that in update manager. Thanks for your reply. one more thing regarding updates, i have seen one link as "Recommended Updates" there was no specific name for the same, what can be that?

Those are recommended to be installed. Changes that should be made. They are about as important as security updates.

If you click "SETTINGS" at the bottom left of the manager, you can chose to "download updates automatically" or "install automatically" (I forget the exact wording) or "install security updates automatically". I wish it had "download AND install automatically".

You can only chose one but you save time by not having to wait on the download AND install. It's pretty handy and works like Windows if you know Windows. It doesn't let you choose the time to download though, but my computer is always on so I just let it do its job.

b4viral
March 9th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Hi,

i have also done changes for security updates as per your instructions.

Thank you for help.