PDA

View Full Version : Which phone should I buy?

Fibonacci
March 9th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I want to buy a new phone, and of course I want to be able to connect it to my GNU/Linux PC. Connecting it via Bluetooth would be nice of course, but I don't hold my hopes high so I'll settle for a USB cable connection.
Now, I just want to be able to store and retrieve files from my PC, and if possible access phonebook data. I'm not looking for tethering or anything like that.

So, I'm undecided between two phones: Nokia C2-01 and Nokia X3-02. Problem is, neither appears on the Wammu list of supported phones, so I don't know whether they will work or not.

Does anybody know whether they will work, or can otherwise suggest a working phone with similar specs?

pavi_elex
March 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I think this is not the perfect place to discuss this.
But in my opinion buy an android phone. Samsung's Android phones give lots of feature.
But first enquire completely then put a step ahead.

nothingspecial
March 9th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

CaseyC
March 9th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I have to agree with the post above. The Samsung Galaxy S2 (or any Samsung phone) would be great. Go Android.

3rdalbum
March 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Buying a lower-end Nokia Symbian-based phone is a lot better than a low-end Android phone that would cost the same. You'll get more apparent speed from the Nokia, plus the legendary build quality.

When you plug the Nokia phones into any PC, the phone asks you if you want to connect using MTP, USB Mass Storage, or the proprietary Nokia PC suite. If you select USB Mass Storage you can put files and music onto the phone just by using drag and drop.

For phonebook data, if Wammu supports other Nokia Symbian phones around the same era, then I'd expect it would support the two models you mention.

Incidentally, you can create a wifi hotspot on Symbian with a program called Joikuspot. Not as good as having it inbuilt like in Android, but still.

t0p
March 9th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I own a Samsung Galaxy mini, and I like it very much. It's an Android-running phone, which I see as a point in its favour right away. And I can move files back and forth between phone and computer very simple, via bluetooth (I haven't even tried connecting via usb because I have seen no reason to). My friend has a ZTE Blade, which she finds wonderful. But the Bade is much more recent than the Galaxy mini, so is more powerful and more expensive. I reckon you could pick up a used Galaxy mini for pennies.

wolfen69
March 10th, 2012, 02:07 AM
But in my opinion buy an android phone. Samsung's Android phones give lots of feature.

I agree with this. I compared a lot of phones before settling on the samsung infuse running android. I installed gingerbread 2.3.6 on it, and it rocks. I look at other people's phones now and just shake my head. But I guess it's a matter of personal preference. But it's hard to beat android for all around functionality.

TheNerdAL
March 10th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I recommend a Samsung Galaxy S2.

oldsoundguy
March 10th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Just remember that if you spend a lot of time SURFING with your phone, get one with a good Wi-Fi .. will save you a bundle! PLUS you can set up a wireless in your home and save save save on those expensive minutes and data minutes (do your downloading on the Wi-Fi system.. not on the phone system!)

wolfen69
March 10th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Just remember that if you spend a lot of time SURFING with your phone, get one with a good Wi-Fi .. will save you a bundle! PLUS you can set up a wireless in your home and save save save on those expensive minutes and data minutes (do your downloading on the Wi-Fi system.. not on the phone system!)

Btw, talk time is separate from data usage. Wifi only helps for data usage. I have unlimited cell to cell calling, but once I call a landline, the minutes tick off. However, I tend to download from wifi for data.

3rdalbum
March 10th, 2012, 05:40 AM
The OP is talking about buying a phone for $100, and people here are saying "You should buy the Galaxy S2 instead"? Oh my. Some people just can't justify spending $800 on a mobile phone when their needs are modest. I don't even think I'd spend that much on a phone again.

The advice about wifi is good, but if you have a reasonable amount of included data in your plan (4 GiB or so) and good reception in your area the need for wifi decreases a lot.

wolfen69
March 10th, 2012, 06:21 AM
The OP is talking about buying a phone for $100, and people here are saying "You should buy the Galaxy S2 instead"? Oh my. Some people just can't justify spending $800 on a mobile phone when their needs are modest. I don't even think I'd spend that much on a phone again.

The advice about wifi is good, but if you have a reasonable amount of included data in your plan (4 GiB or so) and good reception in your area the need for wifi decreases a lot.
That's why I bought the infuse for $50, and pay $40 a month for unlimited calls, texts, and 4gb data. Seems like a good deal. But everyone is not subject to the same deal I have. I realize these deals may vary. Actually, there may be better deals than I have.

MisterGaribaldi
March 10th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Well, I'm going to have to go with this one:

http://di1-2.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/20/56/01/48803727-260x260-0-0_Steepletone+Steepletone+1960+s+Desktop+Telephone +R.jpg

Consider:

Perfect size for desktop applications
Multi-platform support (tables, desks, night stands)
No reception issues, even inside steel structures
It's a bright red telephone!!!

wolfen69
March 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Well, I'm going to have to go with this one:

http://di1-2.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/20/56/01/48803727-260x260-0-0_Steepletone+Steepletone+1960+s+Desktop+Telephone +R.jpg

Consider:

Perfect size for desktop applications
Multi-platform support (tables, desks, night stands)
No reception issues, even inside steel structures
It's a bright red telephone!!!

Isn't that the Bat-phone? Commissioner Gordon?

lisati
March 10th, 2012, 07:04 AM
The version of this model in use in the area I grew up in lacked the rotary dial, and comes highly recommended. You picked up the phone, the operator asked, "number please?" and things proceeded from there.

wolfen69
March 10th, 2012, 08:29 AM
The version of this model in use in the area I grew up in lacked the rotary dial, and comes highly recommended. You picked up the phone, the operator asked, "number please?" and things proceeded from there.

The good old days.

wolfen69
March 10th, 2012, 08:32 AM

wolfen69
March 10th, 2012, 08:35 AM
the version of this model in use in the area i grew up in lacked the rotary dial, and comes highly recommended. You picked up the phone, the operator asked, "number please?" and things proceeded from there.

john7654
March 10th, 2012, 08:44 AM
This is kubuntu forums dude :P

yetiman64
March 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Wow, the first phone I remember our family using was nearly identical to that one with a (rotary) handle where the dialer is. You would pick up the handpiece, wind the handle a couple of times to "buzz" the operator (read that as "wake them up" :-)) and tell them the number you wanted.

BTW wolfen69, that was about 40 years ago were I was brought up. I was about 7 yo at the time.

Sorry OP, couldn't resist replying to that one, can't advise you on mobiles as I hate them and refuse to buy them anymore as our telcos over here tend to pinch any unused credit after about 3 to 6 months. On 2 separate occasions I lost about 10 to 15 dollars each time, and have had enough of that thieving rot they carry on with (ridiculously tight conditions applied imo). Cheers, hope you find something suitable.

Lucradia
March 10th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Samsung Galaxy S II from US Cellular :V since it finally arrived on a non-big-box carrier. (Uses CDMA)

http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/cell-phones/showPhoneDetails.jsp?productId=prod1080046

That was a joke by the way, since you don't live in the US :P However, the Samsung Galaxy S II did suffer serious price drops recently on bigger carriers due to a new model coming out soon.

Marzata
March 11th, 2012, 06:13 AM
My way: Linux powered powerful small laptop and a simple phone like Nokia 101 is a great choice: long battery life, 2 SIM cards, torch, radio, MP3 player.

coldraven
March 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM
My Nokia C1-01 works just fine via Bluetooth.
From my ,gammurc file

[gammu]

port = D8:2A:7E:C2:51:83
model = NAUTO
connection = bluephonet
channel = 1
synchronizetime = yes
logfile =
logformat = nothing
use_locking =
gammuloc =

Connect to your phone then in Nautilus press Ctrl+L to see the port number. Or use
hcitool scan
Use
sdptool search DUN to find the channel number.

I have never managed to get Wammu to work so I just use gammu.
To backup my contacts I just do this.

gammu --backup my-contacts.ldif

Dry Lips
March 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I want to buy a new phone, and of course I want to be able to connect it to my GNU/Linux PC. Connecting it via Bluetooth would be nice of course, but I don't hold my hopes high so I'll settle for a USB cable connection.
Now, I just want to be able to store and retrieve files from my PC, and if possible access phonebook data. I'm not looking for tethering or anything like that.

So, I'm undecided between two phones: Nokia C2-01 and Nokia X3-02. Problem is, neither appears on the Wammu list of supported phones, so I don't know whether they will work or not.

Does anybody know whether they will work, or can otherwise suggest a working phone with similar specs?

Why not get a phone that actually runs Linux? Here is a phone (Neo FreeRunner) that you even can run Debian on if you like: http://www.openmoko.com/freerunner.html

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner