PDA

View Full Version : child process and pipe problem

Skillz12
March 9th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Hi can someone please help me with this problem. It was my school test on wednesday and I failed som I'm trying to solve this problem because next week I have correction option.

Here is the assignement:

Processes and Pipes

Your task is to create a program that creates 102 childs. Always two neighboring children will be connected with pipe, instead of the first child who will have pipe only for output. Also the last child have only pipe for input. All children will have standard inputs and outputs redirected to the pipe. First child generates children and sends via pipe to the second child, second child sends it to he third....etc...101 child receives the number and displays it on the screen. First, create your first child then create others in a for loop and finally the last child. For pipes use two dimensional array int pipe[100][2].

Scheme:
child_1 -> child_2 -> child_3 .... -> child_102

Here is my code, can you please tell me if I create child from a child and etc. ? how can I implement pipes into the for loop?

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
for (int i = 1; i <= atoi(argv[1]); i++)
{

int pid = fork();
if (pid != 0)
{
//printf("I am a parent PID: %d\n", getpid());
break;
}
if (pid == 0)
{
printf("Child %d .my PID is %d\n", i, getpid());
exit(0);
}
}
}

Arndt
March 9th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hi can someone please help me with this problem. It was my school test on wednesday and I failed som I'm trying to solve this problem because next week I have correction option.

Here is the assignement:

Processes and Pipes

Your task is to create a program that creates 102 childs. Always two neighboring children will be connected with pipe, instead of the first child who will have pipe only for output. Also the last child have only pipe for input. All children will have standard inputs and outputs redirected to the pipe. First child generates children and sends via pipe to the second child, second child sends it to he third....etc...101 child receives the number and displays it on the screen. First, create your first child then create others in a for loop and finally the last child. For pipes use two dimensional array int pipe[100][2].

Scheme:
child_1 -> child_2 -> child_3 .... -> child_102

Here is my code, can you please tell me if I create child from a child and etc. ? how can I implement pipes into the for loop?

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
for (int i = 1; i <= atoi(argv[1]); i++)
{

int pid = fork();
if (pid != 0)
{
//printf("I am a parent PID: %d\n", getpid());
break;
}
if (pid == 0)
{
printf("Child %d .my PID is %d\n", i, getpid());
exit(0);
}
}
}

Did you get no instructions for how to create a pipe? There is an intuitively named system call for the purpose.