PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Wubi Installation

Shaun_Yute
March 8th, 2012, 11:08 PM
So I lent my Ubuntu laptop (Dell mini that originally had XP on it) to a friend that had all their laptops stolen. And as expected after a day with no Ubuntu I started going through withdrawals. So I started doing some research and found Wubi a windows installer for Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer). As long as you have an iso of your flavor of Ubuntu (mine was 11.10) Wubi will take care of the rest. It installs Ubuntu as a virtual disk along side your Windows machine. It took maybe 30 minutes to complete and that is only because my internet connection in Africa is extraordinarily slow. But after Wubi is completed with the installation your computer will act as if it is dual booted, when you power on your machine or restart it you will have to pick which OS you would like to boot into.

critin
March 9th, 2012, 12:47 AM
As long as you have an iso of your flavor of Ubuntu

Actually, you don't even need that--choose your flavor in Wubi and it will get it. Wubi is a good way to learn ubuntu and decide if you want to install it permanently on its own partition. I began with Wubi and it hooked me.

Frogs Hair
March 9th, 2012, 03:11 AM
I started with Wubi back on 9.10 just two months before 10.04 came along. :o

pavi_elex
March 9th, 2012, 01:46 PM
and the Best part, you can use any drive. It is not like you should have space in C drive only.