PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switching Distros

iamag
March 8th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Hey UF

Just did a search for switching distros without losing programs but couldnt turn anything good,

I was wondering if there is a way of doing this? what I mean is there a way to download a new distro and then switch it with the current distro I am using without losing the programs,

thanks in advance!

Frogs Hair
March 8th, 2012, 11:19 PM
If understand correctly , No . What ever distribution you chose would be on a different partition . Some of the programs may be available on the other distro and that depends on compatibility . For example, some Gnome 2 programs are not compatible with Gnome but in many cases you can find an updated version for Gnome 3 .

theducksfan2010
March 9th, 2012, 12:55 AM
But upgrading the current distro to a newer release will still retain everything, correct? When I first used Linux, it was recommended to do a fresh install versus an upgrade, but that loses everything, just like switching distros, is that no longer needed?

If the programs are available in the other distro you are wanting to switch to, I would try to backup all saved data in them onto a external drive or usb and bring it over to the new distro.

mrgs
March 9th, 2012, 09:16 AM
First: Why do you want to try a new distro?

If it is because you want to try a new desktop environment (DE) you can just add some more DE's to your present Buntu installation. After doing this you can select DE from the menu at each boot.