PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 11.04 not working properly

steveray100
March 8th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I upgrraded from 10.4 to 10.10 and then I upgraded to 11.04. Now everything is screwed up.
First it booted up, told me that I didn't have the hardware to run Unity and I should chose Classic at the log-in screen. Then everything went south. It running Classic after a fashion, but it never prompted me to chose classic. BUt the screens are all messed up. Windows aren't being draw right. Mouse clicks just make a window flash on the screen momentarily but do not open the program properly.Takes FOREVER for a program to load and then it won't quit properly. I'm sorry that I'm not desrbing all this more coherently but nothing is happening that is more coherent. Panels are not being drawn right can't make menu selection because nothing will stay on the screen, just flashes and dissapears until you click the mouse again. Windows when you close the program stay on the screen all shaded and grayed out. Wanda the Fish is on my Upper Panel and she is swimming very very slow. Is my old computer to old to run 11.04? HELP!!

darkod
March 8th, 2012, 04:49 PM
What is your spec? It might be too old, or at least the video card might be.

Lesson for the future, always try to run the live mode of the version you plan to upgrade to, and see if it loads and works fine or not.
Also, the more subsequent upgrades you do, the higher the possibility things to go wrong, even if your computer has the spec.
An upgrade can never be as clean as a clean install. Consider having separate /home partition and then you can make clean installs when ever you want.

pavi_elex
March 9th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Boot it in recovery mode and click on
"Fix Broken Packages".