PDA

View Full Version : Help?

Thursday9000
March 8th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Soo, On my other computer, My mom was going to throw out, I decided to see whats on it, then install Ubuntu and mess around with it. Well, When I got on, My very outdated Norton detected a "Password Detector" Well, After waiting a while (Slow computer) It said it was resolved. Then I uninstalled WinXP and installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a bootable CD I made. Now, I was wondering if it cleaned my HDD first, Not sure. I ran Clam and it scanned 13 files and found nothing (had for 1 day). So I was wondering if it's safe to log onto stuff. I really do not want to get my MineCraft hacked! Or any other account I have. Please help. Should I just wipe my hard drive again? I haven't done much on it and want to be 100% sure it's 100% safe.

Gremlinzzz
March 8th, 2012, 03:20 AM
If your uneasy just wipe the harddrive with a program like
http://www.dban.org/
:popcorn:i don't think you have too.

grahammechanical
March 8th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Is Ubuntu now the only OS on this disk?

Linux/Ubuntu uses a different file system to Microsoft Windows. The disk would have been formatted to the default ext4 Linux file format when you installed Ubuntu.

If XP is no longer on the disk, then the malware designed to run on Windows will also be gone. Done for by formatting to Ext4. Not only that but the malware would not run on the Linux file system.

If XP is still on the disk then the maleware is still a risk when you run Windows but this malware would not be able to get access to your Ubuntu files unless it was designed to do exactly that.

What do you think?

Regards.