PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.10 black screen on boot

tuanita
March 8th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Dear,
I've been trying to install Ubuntu 11.10 for the last 3 days in a row and i get stock on boot, cant go any further . My laptop configuration is:
I have an Hp Pavilion6 6149sf
PROCESSOR: AMD A6-3410MX (quad core)
RAM / 6GB
GRAPHICS: AMD RADEON HD 6750M / AMD Radeon (TM) HD 6520G (dual graphics)
HDD: 750GB

I've tried installing through dvd drive, a usb and still I get the same thing with both. I need help.
thanks in advance

tuanita
March 8th, 2012, 12:17 PM
166 views and no one has to say nothing !!!
:confused:

WthIteh
March 8th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Can you see the initial menu showing options for "trying without install", "install ...", etc.? And screen goes black afterwards, or it's black from the beginning?

My guess is that the problem is due to "dual graphics" which is not well supported yet. Try to disable the dual graphics from BIOS before booting from CD and then try it again.

tuanita
March 8th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Can you see the initial menu showing options for "trying without install", "install ...", etc.? And screen goes black afterwards, or it's black from the beginning?

My guess is that the problem is due to "dual graphics" which is not well supported yet. Try to disable the dual graphics from BIOS before booting from CD and then try it again.

Yeah i wish i could disable dual graphics but there's no such option!

MAFoElffen
March 8th, 2012, 11:10 PM

@WthIteh
Bingo. But really not as bad as Optimus.

Once installed, then boot to recovery > select "root" and install ATI Catalyst drivers.

Read this: Installing ATI Binary Drivers (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10950714&postcount=334)

ATI seems to be one-up on nVidia, as their Linux drivers do support hybrid-graphics.

Thing is to get the system installed. Some users can do it via using nomodeset or radeon.mode=0... other users have to install with the Ubuntu Alternate Install disk.

If you can install from the LiveCD using "try" then install from the desktop... then you have a chance "delay" the reboot after the install by just openning the browser and downloading your drivers to your filesystem, before you reboot.

The ATI Catalyst Settings utility does have a setting for turning the discreet chipset on/off. It appears only it the hardware it is installed on says it's there.

pavi_elex
March 9th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Try to boot from .iso file.

pehden
March 16th, 2012, 06:22 AM
I got the same issue, Aspire 7560-Sb416 black screen on boot, the LED back light doesnt even turn on. I have to use ubuntu 10.04 just to get it on.

AMD Radeon HD 6520G w/512MB Ram cant install latest version.

bdflex
March 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I have an hp g60-235dx with intel graphics and have been messing with ubuntu 11.10 for the past 2 days. I have tried nomodeset, i915.modeset=1, and i915.modeset=0. It either boots into a blank screen, gets a kernal panic, or gets a bunch of errors on the text screen thats too much to list. I'm using the try ubuntu feature. Now I'm stuck. Any ideas on what i should try next?

pehden
April 3rd, 2012, 05:15 AM
I got the same issue, Aspire 7560-Sb416 black screen on boot, the LED back light doesnt even turn on. I have to use ubuntu 10.04 just to get it on.

AMD Radeon HD 6520G w/512MB Ram cant install latest version.

My work around was to install 10.04 and install the drivers for the AMD card, then upgrade, run recovery mode do reconfigure video drivers, reboot
worked, upgraded to 11.04 then reinstalled AMD drivers via failsafe graphics boot then worked.

raja.genupula
April 3rd, 2012, 07:17 AM
My work around was to install 10.04 and install the drivers for the AMD card, then upgrade, run recovery mode do reconfigure video drivers, reboot
worked, upgraded to 11.04 then reinstalled AMD drivers via failsafe graphics boot then worked.

for better Help , its better to create a new thread .