PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO : Convince your parents/friends to use Ubuntu

PingunZ
June 10th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I'd like my parents to use Ubuntu ( cause I don't want to reinstall XP again when it fails :p ) so, how can I convince them that ubuntu is better then windows ?

Arguments till now: ( Edited ;) )
- Its much more stable
- You make it how you want it, in this case I make it how you want it :p
- There are absolutely NO viruses for it
- It's absolutely free, you have lots of free, virusfree software you can download.
- You have multiple Desktops.
- No Registry
- Lot's and fast security updates
- You can make it look like you want to
- You don't have to worry at all about viruses, spyware, adware, keyloggers, etc
- Your system is constanly up-to-date
- Ubuntu is free and Legal
- You can go back to Windows in rare case that you don't like it
- You can open word, excell, powerpoint files in Ubuntu
- Music, video's, dvd's you can all play it in ubuntu ..
- XGL: for total eye candy ( foor good computer only )

Don't start with stuff about kernels cause my parents don't know what that is :)

Grtz PingunZ

mindwarp
June 10th, 2006, 06:00 PM
One of the best selling points for linux is: It looks cool. Screenshot galleries probably are responsible for 90% of new users < 20 yrs. This can work on older folks too. Show them pictures, show them how they can work with word documents, email, browse the web and chat on aim. Make sure to install flash for them also, and probably some extra video codecs and you are good to go.

And the best reason: Just ask yourself, or your parents: How much longer will you be able to get away with pirating windows? Is microsoft really that unable to stop you from getting a free copy? Want to shell out a lot of money for vista?

?????
June 10th, 2006, 06:04 PM
4 Desktops
Update software easily
Freedom
No need to defrag or clean registry
Fast security update
Get software via Synaptic, don't go searching the net.
You don't have to worry at all about viruses, spyware, adware, keyloggers, etc
And you can have pretty themes

CronoDekar
June 10th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I kind of, um, "pushed" my parents into using Ubuntu. Their WinME computer had gotten thoroughly trashed by some malware or something, so I decided to bring up my old computer which I had put Breezy Badger on (which interestingly had previously been a WinME computer that had gotten thrashed) and get it working.

They were a little hesitant, but they warmed up. After all, all they really do is surf the web, check email, and word process. I pretty much take care of the administrative stuff, and they do their own thing. Now it's got Xubuntu Dapper and is working like a dream :)

I like your arguements. I'd pretty much just assure them that if they don't like it, they can go back to Windows easy.

PingunZ
June 10th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I showed my mum XGL and she was like * Wow * :p
But my dad is harder to convince ...

Grtz PingunZ

PingunZ
June 10th, 2006, 06:44 PM
To bad :s my dad doesn't even wants to try it ..
He is used to windows so he wants windows ^^

Grtz PingunZ

XQC
June 10th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Just because of this, 3 friends of mine want me installing Ubuntu on their PC's now. :rolleyes:
Before this, they thought a Linux Desktop consists only of 0 and 1 and went like "WOW, Linux has a MOUSE CURSOR?!?".

PingunZ
June 10th, 2006, 09:15 PM
hehe, a year ago I taught the same thing ](*,)

nalmeth
June 10th, 2006, 09:24 PM
- Its much more stable
- You make it how you want it, in this case I make it how you want it :razz:
- It's absolutely free, you have lots of free, virusfree software you can download.
- No Registry
- You don't have to worry at all about viruses, spyware, adware, keyloggers, etc
- YOu can go back to Windows in rare case that you don't like it
I would change this to:
-You are in control of your computer. From appearance to behavior, it adheres to your will, not the other way around.
-Viruses are not a threat, yet. There are linux viruses, but considering the amount that are in the wild, and how linux handles security and permissions, you can very safely browse the net, and not fear infection. Also, your system is automatically provided updated packages, which included security patches.
-The package management in Ubuntu is (IMO) second to none, in terms of efficiency, and ease of use with frontend's like gdebui and synaptic. You CAN double click an icon (.deb) to install a program now.
-Ubuntu is free and Legal :KS
-You can dual-boot with windows, and you can even run windows in linux (VMWare/qemu), and there are ways to get compatibility for windows applications in linux through cedega (gaming) CrossOver Office (photoshop, MS Office, itunes(no ipod syncing though, this is done with native linux apps)) and good 'ole wine.
-Evolution is a pretty impressive email and scheduling suite, but there is also thunderbird. There is a wide-range of choice for anything you need, but by default, there is essentially one application for each purpose.

The biggest point though, is that you are willing to do the work in setting it up. You should offer to backup their data, and start with a dual boot. Depending on the size of your current harddrive, you may want to buy another, and you can then setup a shared partition for media between windows and ubuntu.

Don't pretend that with linux you are immortal concerning malware. The biggest deterent that linux users should have, is that they are smart about how they use their computer, and they understand how to protect themselves.

Setup a firewall anyway, and try scanning your windows drive from linux to see if you pick up any viruses.

Lastly, throw on some games they might like, I guarantee someone will get hooked on enigma

If, in the end, they just can't use it, then let it be. Don't spend too much effort on it if it's a lost cause, and they are windows users till the bitter end.

BoyOfDestiny
June 10th, 2006, 09:48 PM
In addition to the stuff mentioned.

No defragging (unless you go out of way to choose ext2 or something.)

It doesn't accuse you of being a thief (product key + activation.)

You can make copies and install it on various machines.

It doesn't phone home or complain when you've installed a new hard drive or video card.

Security patches come ASAP, not on a particular tuesday of the month...

Loads of apps and games (ok mostly apps) in the repositories.

patrick295767
June 10th, 2006, 09:57 PM
This thread rocks !! :-)

That'll help me to make my dad install Linux !! Impossible Mission 4

To bad :s my dad doesn't even wants to try it ..
He is used to windows so he wants windows ^^

Grtz PingunZ

Ahh, my dad had once slackware 3.1 yes incredible
because he had an huge book of 600 pages with it ...
that's mayeb a marketing thign (?)

?????
June 10th, 2006, 10:18 PM
-16 Games installed by default for when you're bored
-Gimp, a free photoshop-like image editor
-Free software so you dont need to worry about all those EULAs.. All they need to read is the GPL.
-Not Microsoft
-Company doesn't want to convince that -blahblahblah- is the only -blahblahblah- (like M$ tries to convince IE is the only browser)

Run this in the terminal (not really)

sudo get mom
sudo convince mom ubuntubetter
sudo get dad
sudo convince dad ubuntubetter
demonstate ubuntu -features
talk about *******probs
sudo show howtouse

If there are no errors,

sudo apt-get ubuntu cd
sudo backup ******* data
sudo dualboot ******* ubuntu

aysiu
June 11th, 2006, 02:12 AM
You might want to look at this How To: Convert Windows Users to Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862) thread.

23meg
June 11th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I didn't have to do anything to convince my mother, who just saw me working on XFCE and said "it looked much better and made more sense than hers". I especially liked the latter part coming from someone in their fifties who's been using a computer for a few weeks.

I believe in silent stimulation. Just get them to see you working on a cool looking, tidy and coherent desktop environment and you'll have raised curiosity already. Then draw the usual weapons (with a healthy dose of oversimplification if needed): no viruses, no maintenance, stability, cost (lack thereof), etc. but never force them to use Ubuntu. Don't just attack their computer with an install CD and wipe Windows off; get them to ask for it.

BoyOfDestiny
June 11th, 2006, 04:30 AM
But my dad is harder to convince ...

Grtz PingunZ

Does he put a lot of trust in MS?

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6544431885.html

Article is in regard to WGA, and yes I know, MS didn't do anything "wrong"... I still find it disturbing though and I'm glad I don't have a windows box anymore...

Compucore
June 11th, 2006, 05:36 AM
For me personally. I just want to show people who are used to just Windows or Max OSX that there are other operating systems out there that do just as a good job if not better to some extent as their current ones without paying such a high price for it. They give you the tools and apps for basics to start off with if you want others you can download as well through the net vian synaptic or through Autmatix and add/remove. For me when my uncle and Aunt are coming down this week for sure. I will be showing them what Ubuntu looks like and let them feel how it works on a typical machine. Because they are so use to on their Mac and their Dell machines OSX and windows home. They don't really know about ubuntu or at least seen it. Because they are scared I think. (Or at least what I am interpreting from them in the hesitation.) They don't even have an idea of what the gui looks like it might give them a chance to take a look and say shoot. We missed out on this for those two OS's and where we could be running this one on both without a problem. And on completely different hardware platforms. IF they don't like it they can stay with their original OS's on their other machines. At least they can say that they did see the os and know a little bit more than they did before.

I'm one of those techies out there when I see something new like a OS or hardware that is very new and is different than what is already out there for the typcial end user. I always like trying it out to see what it can do. And decide whether or not I like it. Instead of staying within the comfort zoe of what everyone else is using. Usually at tech show that used to be going around all the time. Like the comdex that used to be popular. Or the local computer show that used to be popular.

Compucore

jnev
June 11th, 2006, 06:14 AM
it's funny with my dad.. he uses windows xp, hates the OS and microsoft in general (he works with them in his job.. says they're all egotistical jerks), AND he used to work a lot with unix. and yet, he still doesn't want to switch to linux. I keep showing him how everything works better in linux and how almost all of the unix commands work the same way in linux.. still nothing. he's very minimalistic so I showed how he doesn't even need to use a gui if he doesn't want to (he semi-jokingly said that he didn't want one). he STILL refuses to switch to linux, even though he knows full well that he'll be able to do everything he currently does in windows so much easier. all he does is send email, work with word/excel/powerpoint and go on the internet with wifi.

figure that one out.

ericesque
June 11th, 2006, 08:02 AM
lol. try popping a live cd into your family PC. Customize the desktop a bit to look like windows and see if they ever notice.

*adds item to tomorrows To Do list.

der_joachim
June 11th, 2006, 08:13 AM
I would change this to:
-You are in control of your computer. From appearance to behavior, it adheres to your will, not the other way around.

This is not necessarily good. Some people still prefer their OS to do some choces for them. My GF is one of them. After three years of using KDE, she still has the default KDE2 (!) background and she keeps using XMMS, because it looks like winamp. Oh well.

The real thing keeping my father from using Linux is a bunch of MIDI editing apps (Cakewalk, Band In a Box, etc) and AFAIK there are no similar programs with the same (amount of) options. Oh yes, and he is a stubborn fool. ;) He hates Windows, is familiar with CLIs, and he likes to tinker with his computer. Yet he keeps refusing to install Linux.

Luggy
June 11th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Arguments are useful however it is just much easier to push it onto people.
Next time you set up your parents/friend/sig. other's computer put on Ubuntu.
Of course that is if all they do is check their e-mail and surf the net.

Klaidas
June 11th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I suggest telling them how much Vista will cost and what specs. your computer would need to tun it ;)

3rdalbum
June 11th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I can't even get my father to stop using his old Mac and start using my new PC, despite him telling me how much he likes Windows!

The problem is, he's too familiar with how to do everything on Mac OS.

However, he's used Ubuntu once or twice.

sheilnaik
June 12th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Convincing others to use Ubuntu is easy - just show them amarok.

Seeing amarok in action did it for me.

dvarsam
June 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I was almost going to "make it" on a Friend of mine with 833MHz processor & 128MB installed RAM...

But Ubuntu v6.06 CD never made it to the Desktop Screen...

Too bad...

P.S.> I wonder, what are the PC Harware Requirements for Ubuntu v6.06?

ikilledclown
June 13th, 2006, 12:01 PM
It can run on all machines really, be it a mac or pc.

Compucore
June 13th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Dvarsam,

so long as you have 128 megs of ram and about 1.8 gigs for the standard installation. It will work on any machine that you can throw at it. I am running it on two different machines over here. One with a AMD K6-2 400 with a 20 gig hard drive and 192 megs of Ram. While the other is a P III 1.0GHZ with 256 megs of ram and a 20 gig hard drive on that one. Its working great on both machines.

Compucore

I was almost going to "make it" on a Friend of mine with 833MHz processor & 128MB installed RAM...

Too bad...

Wallakoala
June 13th, 2006, 11:05 PM

This one is sorta weird. I talked to a couple of people, telling them that I use linux. A couple of the responses were like the following:

"Linux?!? Isn't that illegal?"

People have bad impressions of linux. That might be why it isn't as widespread as it could be.

dvarsam
June 14th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Dvarsam,
So long as you have 128MB Ram & about 1.8GB for the standard install, It will work on any machine that you can throw at it.

I am running it on two diff machines over here:
One with a AMD K6-2 400 with a 20GB Hard Drive & 192MB Ram.
The other is a P III 1.0GHZ with 256 MB Ram & a 20GB Hard Drive.
It is working great on both machines.

As I said, my friend has an 833MHz PC with 128MB Ram & 20GB Hard Disk...

If I can't reach his Desktop (by using the Ubuntu v6.06 Dapper CD), how will I click on the "Install" icon to install the Software...?

Anyway, I guess for some reason, the process failed... no Desktop showed up!...

Thanks.

bruce89
June 14th, 2006, 07:22 PM
"Linux?!? Isn't that illegal?"
Mind you the amount of pirated stuff they might have on windows isn't‽

Wallakoala
June 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Mind you the amount of pirated stuff they might have on windows isn't‽

Exactly.

Hobitus
June 14th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I have already tried to convience my parents about using Ubuntu (or other Linux), but they simply don't want to hear about changes. Even best arguments can't help, they are simply too conservative and they don't want to leave Windows.

mips
June 14th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Simple, when it breaks or gets saturated with spam/virii you refuse to fix it for them stating that it is an exercise in futility as it's going to happen again. They must pay someone to come and fix it....

jnev
June 14th, 2006, 09:42 PM

Too bad...

well I'm running xubuntu on my laptop and it has a 366mhz pentium 2 and 256mb of ram (I upgraded it from 96mb.. DSL used to be the only distro that would could run on it).

if the pc has only 128mb ram I HIGHLY recomend using xfce instead of gnome or kde. 128mb is not nearly enough for either (when it first boots gnome uses about 200mb, kde I _think_ uses even more).

BoyOfDestiny
June 14th, 2006, 09:57 PM

Too bad...

When you go to Download on the ubuntu site, has information that points to releasenotes for space information and requirements.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/releasenotes/606#head-e15a51f7ff4cac464dfd54cbed7506ef13814de3

Desktop - 256 megabytes of RAM - 3 gigabytes hardrive space
Server - 64 megabytes of RAM - 500 megabytes hardrive space

pianoboy3333
June 14th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Seems, good just a little critisizm, there is a registry, and there are some viruses out there, just not as many as in winbloze of course, a recent one for OpenOffice.org was found. Of course, as I've said winbloze is way worse in these two catagories.

bruce89
June 14th, 2006, 10:07 PM
...a recent one for OpenOffice.org was found.
It wasn't a virus at all, see http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/malte?entry=some_information_about_stardust

dvarsam
June 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM
Hello!

Thanks for your replies!

Dear "jnev",

I am running Xubuntu on my laptop and it has a 366mhz PII & 256MB Ram.
(I upgraded it from 96MB. DSL used to be the only distro that could run on it).

If the PC has only 128MB Ram, I recomend using XFCE instead of Gnome or KDE.
128MB is not nearly enough for either.
(When Gnome first boots, it uses about 200MB, KDE - I think - uses more)

I have read many threads, where people claim that "any user" can run Ubuntu with 500MHz processor & 256MB Ram...

Well, I took my friend to a PC shop, so that he buys some memory - e.g. 512MB - in addition to his 128MB memory!

So, in the end, we had a system with 833MHz processor & 640MB Ram...

Conclusion:

Even though, Ubuntu v6.06 CD managed to boot (before: with only 128MB it would not even get to the Desktop), the Computer was very slow - i.e.:

1. It took around 5-7 minutes to boot from the CD

2. While on the Desktop, you could right-click on the Top Panel & wait approximately "10-to-forever" seconds for that right-click to take effect...

I therefore conclude the following:

Some people in this Forum, are very irresponsible when suggesting to others to install Ubuntu on an lower than 833MHz processor!

I can not imagine myself to suggest to a person to install Ubuntu on a < = 833MHz CPU & expect the other person to remain/be happy just by running Ubuntu in either:

1. "Turtle" speed

OR

2. To NO run at all - because the PC freezes during right-clicks.

People are NOT stup*d!!!

The point here is not to break the "Guinness Record", on the least Minimum Requirements...

The point is to suggest some Minimum Requirements without the PC freezing or take forever to boot/load programs & menus...

We are obligated to suggest some decent/normal PC requirements!!!

So, in my experience, do not even think of attempting to install Ubuntu (I am not talking about Kubuntu or Xubuntu or Server), in a PC with 833MHz processor!!!

From Personal Experience, I assume/estimate that a CPU requirement for Ubuntu should be > = 1GHz...

And do NOT try to convince me otherwise please...!!!

Thanks.

P.S.> In your lives you might want to (or prefer) your PC's to work on "lazy" speed/modes, but suggesting to people to install Ubuntu on a < 1GHz CPU, is way too much...!!!

Kimm
June 21st, 2006, 04:47 PM
I'd like my parents to use Ubuntu ( cause I don't want to reinstall XP again when it fails :p ) so, how can I convince them that ubuntu is better then windows ?

Arguments till now: ( Edited ;) )
- Its much more stable
- You make it how you want it, in this case I make it how you want it :p
- No Registry
- You can go back to Windows in rare case that you don't like it
- XGL: for total eye candy ( foor good computer only )

Don't start with stuff about kernels cause my parents don't know what that is :)

Grtz PingunZ

I like it... but you are repeating yourself, you mention that its free and has no viruses severeal times.
The Arguments are great though.

Kimm
June 21st, 2006, 04:58 PM
Hello!

Thanks for your replies!

Dear "jnev",

I have read many threads, where people claim that "any user" can run Ubuntu with 500MHz processor & 256MB Ram...

Well, I took my friend to a PC shop, so that he buys some memory - e.g. 512MB - in addition to his 128MB memory!

So, in the end, we had a system with 833MHz processor & 640MB Ram...

Conclusion:

Even though, Ubuntu v6.06 CD managed to boot (before: with only 128MB it would not even get to the Desktop), the Computer was very slow - i.e.:

1. It took around 5-7 minutes to boot from the CD

2. While on the Desktop, you could right-click on the Top Panel & wait approximately "10-to-forever" seconds for that right-click to take effect...

I therefore conclude the following:

Some people in this Forum, are very irresponsible when suggesting to others to install Ubuntu on an lower than 833MHz processor!

I can not imagine myself to suggest to a person to install Ubuntu on a < = 833MHz CPU & expect the other person to remain/be happy just by running Ubuntu in either:

1. "Turtle" speed

OR

2. To NO run at all - because the PC freezes during right-clicks.

People are NOT stup*d!!!

The point here is not to break the "Guinness Record", on the least Minimum Requirements...

The point is to suggest some Minimum Requirements without the PC freezing or take forever to boot/load programs & menus...

So, in my experience, do not even think of attempting to install Ubuntu (I am not talking about Kubuntu or Xubuntu or Server), in a PC with 833MHz processor!!!

Thanks.

P.S.> In your lives you might want to (or prefer) your PC's to work on "lazy" speed/modes, but suggesting to people to install Ubuntu on a < 1GHz CPU, is way too much...!!!

You should note that running an OS from a CD is bound to be ALOT slower than running it from a harddrive.

1) A harddrive is faster than a CD-Player
2) I understand that that was a fairly old computer... rendering the CD-Player EVEN Slower
3) EVERYTHING needs to get loaded to RAM, every file that is saved, is saved in your RAM. This includes ANY configuration file.

an 833MHz CPU Should do just fine in running an Ubuntu system, a 500 MHz CPU could probably do it fairly well. Perhaps not to its fullest, but perhaps you should try XUbuntu, designed for lower end systems. 640MB RAM is more than enough!

the LiveCD is designed for new users wanting to TRY the system before installing it, mainly to see how well hardware is recognized. Or to repartion the system, or to fix any problem you might have.

Dont judge a system untill you see the FULL product!

rai4shu2
June 21st, 2006, 05:00 PM
I'm a big believer in reverse psychology. That's why I always tell my parents to use a Mac.

bored2k
June 21st, 2006, 05:19 PM
- You make it how you want it, in this case I make it how you want it
That's possible on Windows. A lot of people simply aren't aware or don't want to play with their boxes, but it's possible.

Macs don't have that either. And although we could argue that Ubuntu does not have them, installing packages from third party repositories (did someone say codecs?) could be as bad or worst than viruses.

Try setting up mp3 support without breakinga law or two. Or commercial DVD playback.

- You have multiple Desktops
That's possible on Windows/Mac. In case you didn't know, yes, it is.

- No Registry
Eh? First explain to my mom what the Registry is. Then, explain me how Ubuntu does not use a mechanism similar to it.

There's no need to be paranoid about it. Microsoft updates and fixes important/critical bugs as fast as they find a fix for it.

Reaaally? *LOL* I'm not even going to arg... *LOL*. You're using waay too definitive/concrete terms.

You don't? Let some linux illuminati fox disguised as a sheep help you configure/install Ubuntu. You'll have a bunch of almost impossible to detect keyloggers on your box.

One word: Gaim 1.5

Again, find me a way to legaly install my playback codecs and you're golden. Not everyone needs them, but the three of you who don't need them are probably busy coding the next Solaris.

Most of my powerpoint presentations look and act like crap on OOo. When I edit a file using Abiword/OOo, I always have to check it by re-opening it on MS Word just to make sure it's still formatted the way I want it to.

Not everyone's into breaking the law.

I'm not against promoting Linux/Ubuntu in any way, but I'm highly against using incorrect arguments to get people into it. That only makes parting from it even easier (since then it won't be as good as advertised).

rai4shu2
June 21st, 2006, 05:30 PM
I find that people who don't like Linux don't really care about legal issues or whether their computer is secure. In fact, I find that people who prefer Windows are people who are easily annoyed by small configuration difficulties or by the differences in how hardware is handled or how applications install, etc.

I think the problem is not so much convincing people to use Linux but just making people familiar with the way Linux works. Once they see the how and why of the way Linux works, they should naturally want to switch.

Bloch
June 21st, 2006, 05:32 PM
I am running ubuntu on a 800MHz PIII with 256 ram.
It runs fine. I chose the @low resources@ option in the gnome menu (it's buried deep) and I have a light theme. (the themes do make a difference)

But the live CD was hopelessly slow. Just as you say, 10 seconds for anything to happen.

The installation from the live CD didn't go smoothly - it couldn't install alongside windows so I had to just take over the whole disk. Now windows is gone and I might need it for digital cameras, or to double check dodgy hardware.

But I can tell you at 800MHz it runs smoothly, no problem with video etc.
On a 300MHz PII I had - now you're talking about unusable.

Kimm
June 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM
[B]- It's absolutely free, you have lots of free, virusfree software you can download.
Try setting up mp3 support without breakinga law or two. Or commercial DVD playback.

- You have multiple Desktops
That's possible on Windows/Mac. In case you didn't know, yes, it is.

One word: Gaim 1.5

Again, find me a way to legaly install my playback codecs and you're golden. Not everyone needs them, but the three of you who don't need them are probably busy coding the next Solaris.

Not everyone's into breaking the law.

The Codec issue has alot to do with which country you live in.
Its legal here ;)

Multiple desktops IS possible in windows, but not without third party software, and a Mac... well, thats a new computer = costs money

And Gaim 1.5 is acctually up-to-date, Gaim 2.0 hasnt been released yet.

bored2k
June 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM
The Codec issue has alot to do with which country you live in.
Its legal here ;)You're right. Maybe Ubuntu should focus on selling itself on Sweeden and the other countries which legaly allow them. Here in America, we're doomed to buy Xandros desktop *buaahahahah*.

Multiple desktops IS possible in windows, but not without third party software, and a Mac... well, thats a new computer = costs moneyThird party software? Not necessarily. Heck, no, if you know your way around the Windows registry you don't even need them. And even if you did, that's not that big of a deal. It's not like we don't need third party repositories for extra packages anyways, so I don't see the problem.

And Gaim 1.5 is acctually up-to-date, Gaim 2.0 hasnt been released yet.Yeah. You're right. I even saw that one coming, but I just hate it so much I need to say it :).

Kimm
June 21st, 2006, 06:29 PM
You're right. Maybe Ubuntu should focus on selling itself on Sweeden and the other countries which legaly allow them. Here in America, we're doomed to buy Xandros desktop *buaahahahah*.

I was thinking more about the fact that the original poster lives in Belgium :wink:
Not that I KNOW its legal there, but the poster should probably know.

bruce89
June 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM
{retracted}

bored2k
June 21st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Since when was the USA the whole world? Anyway, you should use vorbis.
I don't live in the USA, and I'm sort of breaking the law of my country (Caribbean) for using them. And yeah, tell that to the thousands of MP3s I already have and could be listening without any issues using Windows, Xandros, Linspire, and others.

Basfriends
June 21st, 2006, 10:29 PM
I have read a lot of your posts and indeed there is something to say for both windows and linux. Besides that i have some tips for you to convince your parents ;).

An argument i have seen quite a few times is the following: you can make linux look like you want it to look. This is indeed true for windows, but a few things are different: Tweaking windows is usually only done using the GUI tools provided by microsoft or other 3th party applications, because all this kind of data is stored in binary files. The opposite is true for the linux system: most of the tweakings can be made with an easy text editor.

The same is true for configurations which have nothing to do with the way your OS looks but with the way it operates. If you know your way around in linux (and i am not pretending that i know my way around already) you'll find tweaking things very easily. (sudo gedit /where/is/my/config/file.conf). Like I said, i'm not using linux for quite a long time so correct me if i am wrong

The software that comes with ubuntu satisfies me and my parents quite a lot more than the software delivered with windows. For instance the webbrowser. I have heard people complaining about gaim 1.5, but MSN Messenger does not support other platforms besides the msn platforms (i use gmail and gtalk and i believe i am not the only one)

If you want to convince your parents about using linux instead of windows, you'll need to make sure the following things:

1st: you should know your way around in linux and you should be able to fix the default troubles on your own (my internet is not working, why?)

2nd: make sure not to push your parents. (hey dont start again about your creepy beegie linux)

3rd: ubuntu comes with the excellent feature of the live cd: use it!

4th: if you have multiple computers in your house: challenge your parents to use the linux computer for at least a weak. Tell them you'll support them if something goes wrong

5th: suggest them to use a dual boot: if they prefer windows above linux then let them: you've linux on the best pc and that is what it is all about isn't it?

I wish everyone much luck and I hope I have offered some help to you all

bruce89
June 21st, 2006, 10:43 PM
I don't live in the USA, and I'm sort of breaking the law of my country (Caribbean) for using them. And yeah, tell that to the thousands of MP3s I already have and could be listening without any issues using Windows, Xandros, Linspire, and others.
Well use them then! I realise that saying you should use vorbis is pointless, as you have a large MP3 collection, so I am sorry about that remark. I have cleared my post, feel free to delete it.

bored2k
June 22nd, 2006, 03:08 AM
Well use them then! I realise that saying you should use vorbis is pointless, as you have a large MP3 collection, so I am sorry about that remark. I have cleared my post, feel free to delete it.
Hey man/gal, I was simply arguing what I thought were valid points. I didn't want you or anyone to feel bad or anything and start clearing out posts. Sorry :(. To each it's own.

airtonix
June 22nd, 2006, 02:31 PM
3rdalbum : dood, thats because macos is the best OS. ubuntu comes a hairline 2nd.
But only because it is designed to run on the largest pontential geneaology of computers, where as macos is sadly limited to the imbred gene pool of royalty, which on a sidenote is proly why the french revolution was allowed to happen...wot having a "crazy-disease-ridden-psycho-for-a-king" an all tat guff.

dvarsam
July 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Dear Bloch,

Thanks for your repply!

I am running ubuntu on a 800MHz PIII with 256 ram.
It runs fine...

That "sounds" relieving...

I chose the @low resources@ option in the gnome menu (it's buried deep) and I have a light theme. (the themes do make a difference)

This is what "sucks"!!!

Well, if you are suggesting to all Ubuntu users to:

1. Set the Gnome menu in: low resources

2. Set the: lightest possible Theme

3. Remove the X environment.

4. Disable all un-needed/un-neccessary Services

5. Disable Internet Access

6. Disable LAN

7. Remove Open Office Org & all un-needed applications (so that you can get a faster OS response)

... and your Ubuntu will be running great!!! on a 800MHz PIII with 256 ram.

.... sorry man....

... but then the Users will NOT end up in an Ubuntu-worthy situation (but on the contrary), they will end up in an Ubuntu-f*ckup situation...!!!=D>

LETS KEEP IT SERIOUS, SHALL WE?:lol:

But the live CD was hopelessly slow. Just as you say, 10 seconds for anything to happen.

Then we both agree, that it is impossible for a normal Ubuntu install to work ok...
Especially now that the Install CD & the Live CD have been merged into 1 CD...

It is nice to promote Ubuntu & try to make it known all-around, but let us all not over-do it!!!

The installation from the live CD didn't go smoothly - it couldn't install alongside windows so I had to just take over the whole disk.
Now windows is gone and I might need it for digital cameras, or to double check dodgy hardware.

I never managed to install (with 866MHz processor & 640Mb RAM)...
... so I definately do NOT recommend to people going on & installing Ubuntu on a PC with <256Mb memory &/or <1GHz Processor...

But I can tell you at 800MHz it runs smoothly, no problem with video etc.

Sure!
As long as you "strip" down all the system!!! =D>
... and you are left-out with nothing to work with!!!...:roll:

On a 300MHz PII I had - now you're talking about unusable.

Sure!

P.S.> BTW: Maybe we should encourage people to install only the Kernel in a PC with 300MHz processor...:lol:
Normal users will be able to do so many stuff with just the Kernel, lets all proudly announce the advantages of installing just the Kernels in our PCs...!!! :lol:

starscalling
May 24th, 2007, 07:35 AM
while there are certainly some valid points brought up here i think all y'all are making it much too hard:

================================================== =======================================
step 1: make YOUR linux system look nice and integrate awesomely and be noticed using it
step 2: refuse to support the win system
2a. point out when they are infected with xxxtrojan.xxx that they wouldn't have had _that_ in *nix
2b. when they want help fixing windows email them link to google.com
step 3: wait till their windows system is totally buggered and offer to fix it
3a. [my favorite :)] "oh i only install Linux, sorry. i don't like associating my name with something as bad and unstable as windows
step 4: wait till they beg, then say, "well that computer hardware is perfectly good, but perhaps you would prefer to buy a new system."
step 5: show them the latest greatest $5000 system
step 6: offer to install Linux
================================================== =======================================

seems to work great for me, and as i setup everything i can possibly think of worx for them. add in x11vnc + www.whatismyip.com and i am able to manage their systems with a minimal of my own time and wherever they may be. ;)

Chilli Bob
May 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM

I gotta disagree with you there. I'm running a PIII 733MHz. Most nights I simultaneously run GIMP, Kompozer, Firefox, Epithany, Evolution and Exaile over several work spaces, often while downloading the latest updates at the same time. My computer fair rockets along, and I haven't turned off anything in Gnome, indeed I'm running a fairly complex custom theme. The only time I notice my PC lagging at all is when I rip with Soundjuicer, but it's still perfectly usable.

If you need a 1GHz plus PC to get performance, then you are doing something wrong.

xpod
May 24th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I gotta disagree with you there.

+1
My son uses a pc with a 850Mhz processor and only 256mb of ram and Ubuntu works just fine too.Xubuntu works better of course but he`s using puppy at the moment too and thats blazing fast no matter where you run it from:p
Alternate cd`s are great things if you know you want to actually install x/ubuntu.

Hell, you can buy those Vista capable things with 800Mhz processors:???:
I`ve even seen it with my own eyes as a poor neighbour of mine did exactly that:(

Macchi
June 1st, 2007, 01:11 AM
It seems like I could set two records here:

a)youngest user and b) weakest computational resources for Ubuntu in a usable system:

My sons, 4 and 7 years old, are users of both a PIII 300MHz 168MB laptop (b!) and a PIII 500MHz 256MB desktop running Dapper. These are "green" recycled computers.

They only run the GCompris educational suite, Firefox for simple websurfing (with a content-filter through Willow) and rythmbox for playing music and listening to books from our home server.
The youngest boy was actually only 3 years old (a!) when he started using GCompris. Is he the youngest user?

Was that not enough? That laptop could set a record for c) the worse battery time for a Ubuntu laptop. Now it runs up to 7 minutes on battery :) .

Redrazor39
February 22nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Vista works perfectly for me but the compiz effects dragged me in so I HAD to dual boot. Man, am I glad I jumped on this boat. We need to spread this word. My parents still can't understand how a whole OS, all the software, and logos and stuff is all FREE of charge and FREE of copyright. They haven't used it yet but idk... they're starting to whine about XP's slowness...

They see all the stuff I do with ubuntu and think it's too complicated

and sadly, they use AOL.

and there's no AOL for linux

Oh well, maybe when ubuntu really gets more user-friendly I'll recommend it.