PDA

View Full Version : problem installing gnome

mulberries
March 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I tried to install the gnome desktop (and gnome colours) using synaptic and got the following error.

W: Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gnome-shell/gnome-shell_3.2.1-0ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb
404 Not Found

It seemed to install more or less, but next time I launched synaptic it said I had a broken package and to look for it with the broken filter. I ticked the broken filter box and "OK" but that didn't seem to do anything. I tried to remove gnome and gnome colours but got the same "failed to fetch ..." message. Next time I tried synaptic said I was about to install unauthenticated software.

I'm using an Acer T180 and the 11.10 64 bit version of Ubuntu. If necessary I can re-install as I've not done much since installing it.

Incidentally another problem I'm having is that the grub loader doesn't show when I boot up, just says "out of range" for a while and then goes straight into Ubuntu, not giving me access to my other partitions (same problem with Mint). I had to install Crunch Bang to in another partition to get the grub loader back.

Thanks

Andrew

cortman
March 7th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I tried to install the gnome desktop (and gnome colours) using synaptic and got the following error.

W: Failed to fetch http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gnome-shell/gnome-shell_3.2.1-0ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb
404 Not Found

It seemed to install more or less, but next time I launched synaptic it said I had a broken package and to look for it with the broken filter. I ticked the broken filter box and "OK" but that didn't seem to do anything. I tried to remove gnome and gnome colours but got the same "failed to fetch ..." message. Next time I tried synaptic said I was about to install unauthenticated software.

I'm using an Acer T180 and the 11.10 64 bit version of Ubuntu. If necessary I can re-install as I've not done much since installing it.

Incidentally another problem I'm having is that the grub loader doesn't show when I boot up, just says "out of range" for a while and then goes straight into Ubuntu, not giving me access to my other partitions (same problem with Mint). I had to install Crunch Bang to in another partition to get the grub loader back.

Thanks

Andrew

Sounds like a reinstall would be the best fix (for a number of issues, probably).