PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do the Ubuntu derivatives survive?

Rytron
March 7th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hi.

I heard in a YT video recently that Canonical will no longer fund Kubuntu.

But they will continue to give structural/framework support. Does the same apply to Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc? What does this exactly mean? Will there be more bugs and other downfalls in the derivatives?

t0p
March 7th, 2012, 12:21 PM
My guess is that they survive the way most other Linux distros survive - by people throwing their eyes into bug hunts for free, coders coding code for free, designers designing designs for free, etc etc. Plus corporations throwing in money and code. And folk like us donating to developers.

Canonical are nice for a corporation, I guess, but they ain't the be-all and end-all. I suspect that if Canonical disappeared, someone would pick up the pieces and *buntu would continue in some fashion.

Rytron
March 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM
My guess is that they survive the way most other Linux distros survive - by people throwing their eyes into bug hunts for free, coders coding code for free, designers designing designs for free, etc etc. Plus corporations throwing in money and code. And folk like us donating to developers.

Canonical are nice for a corporation, I guess, but they ain't the be-all and end-all. I suspect that if Canonical disappeared, someone would pick up the pieces and *buntu would continue in some fashion.

Glad to hear it. I think Lubuntu and Xubuntu are excellent. I'd hate to see them slide.