PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Are Ubuntu Ireland's update servers ever working?

Dáire Fagan
March 6th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I remember some time ago having to change a setting to force Ubuntu to update from somewhere other than HEAnet because the server was and stayed down for a long period of time.

On only recently upgrading recently it must have restored my servers to Ireland once again where once again I cannot download because the server is down.

How to I change my server to the UK or USA?

winh8r
March 6th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Open the Ubuntu Software Centre
click on Edit
Software sources

Select the "download from" drop down menu and click the button that says

"select best server"

This will check through the available servers and choose the one that is best in terms of connection speed and availability for you (it could be anywhere) I have used the server for the Czech Republic, Sweden and France even though I am in the UK.

Just make sure you click on "select server" before closing the window

Hope this helps you.

Dáire Fagan
March 6th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks!

I remember some idiot in the #ubuntu-ireland IRC channel telling me to just put up with it until it was fixed so ubuntu can count the Irish users, all this despite it being down for weeks and with no lead time on a resolution.

winh8r
March 7th, 2012, 12:21 AM
They were probably counting the number of angry emails they got to get an accurate figure!!!!!!

Glad you got it sorted out.

AndrewMc
March 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM
On only recently upgrading recently it must have restored my servers to Ireland once again where once again I cannot download because the server is down.

It's been a long time (years) since I had any trouble with HEANet's mirrors, and I use them at home and at work all the time.

What's happening when you try to update? Do you get an error, no connection, or something else?

Dáire Fagan
March 7th, 2012, 10:30 AM
It's been a long time (years) since I had any trouble with HEANet's mirrors, and I use them at home and at work all the time.

What's happening when you try to update? Do you get an error, no connection, or something else?

Error in connection, although everything else on the Internet works fine.

HEAnet definitely had a problem with there servers for a period of at least weeks a year or so ago because I saw someone from Ubuntu Ireland tweeting somebody at HEAnet asking when the issue would be resolved, and that somebody replying officially that the problem is ongoing and the lead time is unknown.