PDA

View Full Version : This is actually very funny

rdd
June 10th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I read this today: http://news.com.com/No%20fix%20for%20critical%20hole%20in%20Windows%20 98,%20ME/2100-1002_3-6082307.html?tag=nefd.top

If you read the corresponding 'Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-015' (Link) (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS06-015.mspx) you'll come across this passage:

The Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME) Windows Explorer architecture is much less robust than the more recent Windows architectures. Due to these fundamental differences, after extensive investigation, Microsoft has found that it is not feasible to make the extensive changes necessary to Windows Explorer on Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME) to eliminate the vulnerability. To do so would require reengineer a significant amount of a critical core component of the operating system. After such a reengineering effort, there would be no assurance that applications designed to run on these platforms would continue to operate on the updated system.

Translated into plain English they are really saying:
Windows 98 code is a mess and this bug goes really deep. We don't really understand the stuff we coded back then and we can't fix it anymore. We tried and the whole thing broke. So we rather leave it and recommend you buy a licence for a newer Windows version.

Are they serious? They should be so ashamed of themselves.

taurus
June 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
But I thought they don't support Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows ME aymore!!! So basically, you will not get any updates from MicroSuck so run them as your own risk thing! ](*,)

rdd
June 10th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Not quite yet: HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1) they state that 'Critical security updates will be provided on the Windows Update site through July 11,2006.'

On the security bulletin this bug is marked 'critical'.

B0rsuk
June 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM
And where's the suprise ? Did I miss the punchline ? MS is behaving like they always did.

Engnome
June 10th, 2006, 05:14 PM
And where's the suprise ? Did I miss the punchline ? MS is behaving like they always did.

That is (also) actually very funny. :rolleyes:

CronoDekar
June 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM
To be fair, the products are 6-8 years old. That's quite a long time to support a piece of software.

Though of course, one could contest how well their support was in the first place.

rdd
June 10th, 2006, 09:00 PM
To be fair, the products are 6-8 years old. That's quite a long time to support a piece of software.

Though of course, one could contest how well their support was in the first place.

But then what is the point of paying for software if you're not gonna get support? I thought that was the case they are always making. Buy it from us, you'll get support with it.

And even saying that they'll support it longer and then not fixing a bug they themselves deem 'critical'. That is just taking the p**s.

Actually I am quite pleased with Microsofts behaviour in the past few weeks. Making the case for Linux has become a good deal easier.

KiwiNZ
June 10th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Sidebar.... Microsoft supports product versions for longer than any linux distro by quite a number of years.That support represents a significant cost that must be factored into their pricing.

imagine
June 10th, 2006, 10:13 PM
True, but on the other hand they promised to release ciritcal securtiy updates until 2006-07-11. Now it's June, this is a critical flaw and they still don't provide a fix.

jdong
June 11th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Sidebar.... Microsoft supports product versions for longer than any linux distro by quite a number of years.That support represents a significant cost that must be factored into their pricing.

Well, I don't know about that... RedHat offers some pretty extended support options!

IYY
June 11th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Don't forget that Ubuntu (and RedHat) offers free upgrades to the next version when yours expires, and the next version will be faster, not slower! For many Win98 users, this new abortion of support means throwing away their old PCs, since XP won't run on them.

Not that I'm complaining. I just buy these old PCs from them for pennies and use them as powerful Linux workstations.