PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu on pre-partitioned HDD

Paapaa
March 6th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I used Gentoo for years. Then went back to Win7 and now need Linux again. I think Ubuntu-64bit is the way to go now. I have my Gentoo HDD partitioned like this:

1. Small /boot partition. (Don't remember the size, ext2)
2. 512MB Swap partition.
3. 60GB / partition, ext4.
4. 100GB /home partition, ext4 with data to be saved.

Questions:

1. Can I install Ubuntu and utilize all the above four partitions?
2. Can I install so that /home partition is left intact?
3. Let's say there is a /home/Paapaa directory for the user Paapaa. If I create user "Paapaa" in Ubuntu, is it OK if the directory is already there with data in it? Or should I rename the directory first and copy all I need later to the new ~/Paapaa?

4. Should I use the default installer to accomplish all the above?

Paddy Landau
March 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
1. Can I install Ubuntu and utilize all the above four partitions?
You don't need a /boot partition, although you may have one if you choose. It is really unnecessary, though.

2. Can I install so that /home partition is left intact?
Yes. When you install, do not use the default. Instead choose to manually partition. Just choose each partition for its use, and tick "format" for all except the /home partition.

But, as with any installation, there is always a (small) chance of data loss, so please back up first!

3. Let's say there is a /home/Paapaa directory for the user Paapaa. If I create user "Paapaa" in Ubuntu, is it OK if the directory is already there with data in it?
Yes, that is OK.

But, as already stated, there is always a (small) chance of data loss, so please back up first!

4. Should I use the default installer to accomplish all the above?
As already stated, no; choose manual partitioning.

By the way, your swap should be equal to your RAM (or greater), but at least 1Gb. If you have a 2Gb or more, you can use 64-bit without problem; 1Gb or more, 32-bit; less than 1Gb, rather choose Lubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu).