PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] update manager notification flashing

xadder
March 6th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Hi,

When there are upgrades available the update manager notice appears in my top-panel (which I like), but then keeps flashing, which is really annoying. Can I turn off the flashing behaviour anywhere?

(I am using ubuntu 11.10, and xfce on top of this. I think I had the same behavious when I was struggling with unity, but am not sure about that.)

Bucky Ball
March 6th, 2012, 12:36 PM
You can turn it off by installing the updates or clicking on the update manager to open it and then close it (or right click the flashing icon and 'quit' or 'close'.

Are you meaning upgrades or updates???

xadder
March 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I prefer to open the update manager when I want to, not to be forced to stop what I am trying to do just to stop something flashing at me. I keep my computer up-to-date every day, but when buried in reading some code I hate being distracted. As I said, I like being notified, but a flag, message or exclamation mark in the panel is enough for that.

Bucky Ball
March 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Switch off updates and just do it manually whenever you like, then. ;)

Open Update Manager
Hit 'Settings' in the bottom left corner
Go to the 'Updates' tab and untick 'Check for Updates'

Fixed! ;)

LewisTM
March 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Funny, I don't get a blinking icon in my notification area, only a static one.

Could be something that was carried over from Ubuntu/GNOME. Maybe this (http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-restore-automatic-update-notification-icon-in-ubuntu-9-04.html)?

You could configure your notification area to hide the icon. Hopefully you will still get a popup notification for updates and you can unhide the icon with a single click.

Cheers!

Bucky Ball
March 6th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Funny, I don't get a blinking icon in my notification area, only a static one.

Could be something that was carried over from Ubuntu/GNOME. Maybe this (http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-restore-automatic-update-notification-icon-in-ubuntu-9-04.html)?

You could configure your notification area to hide the icon. Hopefully you will still get a popup notification for updates and you can unhide the icon with a single click.

Cheers!

If OP keeps it updates manually everyday (as OP seems to be implying) they don't need notification at all . ;)

xadder
March 6th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks LewisTM,

I did that gconf-editor trick, and the flashing seems to have disappeared. This is what I want, a non-obstrusive reminder when updates are available.

LewisTM
March 6th, 2012, 05:48 PM
That was a lucky guess but glad it worked :)
Please mark as solved.