PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Which old version of Ubuntu is supported with the following hardware?

anurox2
March 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I tried to install Ubuntu 11.04, 9.10, 8.10, but failed. It just did not to boot. And even if it started to boot it would take to much time.
My system Specifications are-
Pentium D-2.67 GHz both cores
256MB RAM(Only 191 available as 64 MB shared with inbuilt video card)
VIA/S3G Graphic card(Inbuilt).
80GB HDD

I want to know which Ubuntu version is compatible with the above system specifications??
Thank You:)

nothingspecial
March 6th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hi, you don't have enough ram to use Ubuntu. You may have more success with Lubuntu.

plucky
March 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Hi, you don't have enough ram to use Ubuntu. You may have more success with Lubuntu.

+1 for Lubuntu and use the Alternate install CD

Good luck

raja.genupula
March 6th, 2012, 02:04 PM
But Wiki of Lubuntu says Graphical install needed 256 Mb of RAM , how it will be if we install a minimal Ubuntu and then GUI to it ?

mastablasta
March 6th, 2012, 02:04 PM
increase the RAM if you can. it is not so expencive and will give a good botos to your ocmputer. Even with Lubuntu this will be pushing it. sure it will work but how fast and what kind of things you could do with it?! with such a CPU and an added 1GB ram your computer would be flying...

uRock
March 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums.

+1 for using Lubuntu.

anurox2
March 8th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Thank you all very much for your suggestions, but its just not possible for me to get a RAM upgrade. So i think i'll stick with WinXP. I do have Ubuntu installed on my Toshiba laptop.
Anyways thank you all!!

mrgs
March 8th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Your decision, of course, but are you aware that all Ubuntu-applications can also be installed in Lubuntu?