PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Deleted Linux Partition.

viswanathk
March 6th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Hey,

Today I installed Windows 8 on my laptop. During the installation I selected a drive other than my Linux drive to install windows. I finished installing it and later when I was about to reinstall grub, I noticed that the Ubuntu partition was deleted. I restarted into windows to see that the partition "System Reserved" which is always hidden in Windows is now open to view. Also my Linux + swap area together (55GB) is now shown as "Free space" in the disk management.

Please help me recover my Linux partition. It had tons of OpenCV projects and other Gigabytes of packages which I don't want to download again over my crappy internet connection. Help!!

ottosykora
March 6th, 2012, 07:52 AM
lost data? simple: restore them from your backup

you do not have backup?

Then hit your head 100 times against a solid wall and say 1000 times : I should make backup of my data before any complex installation.

but you could use a program named testdisk to recover your previous partitions.

STOP USING THE DISK NOW!

get some live CD system, as ubuntu installation disk or partedmagic etc.
You can run testdisk from there, follow the infos in the screen and you might be able to recover your previous partitioning.

pinguinhood
March 6th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Can you see your linux partition using the live cd or not?

Mark Phelps
March 6th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Please help me recover my Linux partition. It had tons of OpenCV projects and other Gigabytes of packages which I don't want to download again over my crappy internet connection. Help!!

So, even though you had "tons" of stuff on your drive, and (apparently) NO backup of that, you STILL decided to mess around with a pre-release version of MS Windows??

Did you even read the Release Notes on Win8 Consumer Preview where it says that if you upgrade an existing install (Win7), you can NOT restore it, but have to reinstall from scratch?

At this point, you might not be able to get back to EITHER pre-Win8 setup.