PDA

View Full Version : Best way to dry out cell phone after falling in the toilet?



kevdog
March 6th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Someone in my family -- I won't mention who -- dropped their cellphone in the toilet yesterday. Of course the phone doesn't work any more -- well the flash stays on and a nasty sound comes from the speakers, however there is no video to speak of. What's the best way to "dry" the phone out? Although I'm asking this, I have a feeling the situation might be hopeless.

iponeverything
March 6th, 2012, 03:28 AM
If the battery was removed immediately, there would have been a better chance of saving it.

I would take back cover off remove the battery and place it in a ziplock bag with some rice to absorb the moisture.

lisati
March 6th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Results might vary, but sometimes taking the cover off, removing the battery and leaving everything on top of the hot water cylinder for a few days can sometimes help.

mips
March 6th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Immediately remove battery!

Strip the entire phone down and dunk the pieces in isopropyl alcohol which you can get from a pharmacy/chemist or if you cant find that get methylated spirits. Make sure everything gets a good dunking and is properly rinse.

Leave in a window sill that gets sun for 2 days or place in a warm dry place.

Reassemble phone.

I rescued countless dead waterlogged phones like this, did one just last week.

spynappels
March 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Was just going to suggest what mips said, also used this several times to rescue a dead phone, works best if done immediately though.

Grenage
March 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I'll add one thing to the rice bag idea (it works very well when you are talking to someone, and don't have the device) - make sure it's normal dried rice, not easy-cook/half-boiled stuff.

It's obvious to 99%, but the hilarious does happen.

samalex
March 6th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Someone in my family -- I won't mention who -- dropped their cellphone in the toilet yesterday. Of course the phone doesn't work any more -- well the flash stays on and a nasty sound comes from the speakers, however there is no video to speak of. What's the best way to "dry" the phone out? Although I'm asking this, I have a feeling the situation might be hopeless.

By opening your wallet because I've yet to see a cellphone recover after getting submerged. My personal worse was jumping into our swimming pool about four years ago with my smartphone in my pocket and though I took all the steps, removed battery, tried out thoroughly, etc, it did turn on but the camera and speaker never worked after that.

Grenage
March 6th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I think the worst I've encountered was my wife's iphone, although 5 worth of ebay parts got it working as good as new.

mips
March 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I'll add one thing to the rice bag idea (it works very well when you are talking to someone, and don't have the device) - make sure it's normal dried rice, not easy-cook/half-boiled stuff.

It's obvious to 99%, but the hilarious does happen.

Rice does work to some degree with absorbing moisture but if it is way wet it wont help much. I found few rice grains in the last phone I fixed (which was dead), gotta give the dude points for trying :lolflag:

Grenage
March 6th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Lol, poor chap. It's certainly not as good as stripping the device down.

Android: Get your mail, browse the web, and prepare sushi rice!

JCM_Pico
March 6th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Have saved mine by opening every thing that was possible and placing (except the battery) it in the oven for more then 5h at 50C (the min temp. that my oven does)... And its working for 1yr :D

Attention too much temperature and it will melt...

x-shaney-x
March 6th, 2012, 10:07 PM
A friend of mine managed to save a phone after a similar accident with a hair dryer on low settings.

neu5eeCh
March 7th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Last week I washed my tracfone in the laundry machine. It's quite clean now. I immediately took out the battery and pinned it up (with a clothes pin) next to the wood stove for four days. Really baked it. I'll be jinxed if it doesn't work now! :)

KiwiNZ
March 7th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Because of miniaturization the main board in Cellphones is extremely thin and water sensitive. The best you can hope for is to get it going long enough to save any data from it. The Main board will "rot" very quickly and the IC's will de-laminate very fast.

If you have insurance you would be better to do nothing with it and claim on your policy.

kevdog
March 7th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Got lucky -- put the phone in a ziplock bag full of rice for 3 days. Put the battery back in, and the thing turned on. Something is still funky with the screen however. There is possibly water behind the glass or something. I'm guessing this is going to be hard to get correct.

On the subject of hairdryers, I read somewhere that this could possibly blow water further into the device that evaporate the water. I have no idea if this is true, however it seems like this could be plausible.

I never get insurance on any of my phones. I guess this would be one situation where it could be possibly useful, however I've read that if the water indicator within the phone indicates the phone got wet, the warranty in this situation is void. This could be an over generalization and really dependent on what each individual carrier covers. I found the warranty in most cases on my carrier (verizon), to be so restrictive, I just don't bother anymore.

Grenage
March 7th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Because of miniaturization the main board in Cellphones is extremely thin and water sensitive. The best you can hope for is to get it going long enough to save any data from it. The Main board will "rot" very quickly and the IC's will de-laminate very fast.

That's really down to how much water has entered the device, where it reached, and for how long - which is really all luck. As I said, I've been using this iphone for two years, and it was flooded.

winh8r
March 7th, 2012, 11:37 AM
This method has worked for me in the past:

As soon as possible after the phone has been submerged, remove as many parts as you can, whilst keeping the phone in a vertical position.Take a glass bowl and stand the phone in it and put the dried rice all around the phone.When you get to about half way up the phone, throw in a few of those little silica gel sachets which you get from shoeboxes and electrical equipment packaging, then fill the bowl up with rice, keeping the phone vertical as you do so.
Every few hours, repeat the process and turn the phone upside down to allow any remaining moisture to be removed by gravity.
After about 24 hours, take the phone out and give it a quick spray with WD-40 or something similar, then return it to the bowl for another day or so.

I have rescued at four phones this way and three of them are still in daily use.

mips
March 7th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Because of miniaturization the main board in Cellphones is extremely thin and water sensitive. The best you can hope for is to get it going long enough to save any data from it. The Main board will "rot" very quickly and the IC's will de-laminate very fast.

Dunno where you read that but I would be highly sceptical.

Swagman
March 7th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I wonder who fished it out of the dunny !!

Did they wash their hands afterwards ?

sanderella
March 7th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I put mine in the airing cupboard for a few days, was ok.

KiwiNZ
March 7th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Dunno where you read that but I would be highly sceptical.

Many years in the business, didn't read it,it's called hands on experience, but believe what you will I have no vested interest.

3177
March 7th, 2012, 08:09 PM
i dropped a couple of phones in water, outside though. I had to take my air compressor and blow through the phone at about 10 psi. Then I left it on a towel for the day. This worked on a few older phones, but not on NEW new phones.

My best advice for you would beto just leave it on a towel for the rest of the night. Then try in the morning. Worst case scenario, you are out a phone(but you already know that).

Good luck

Eiji Takanaka
March 7th, 2012, 08:09 PM
The cell phone is allready dry.

After all it is you who has fallen in the toilet and not the cellphone eh?

Nice try riddler mcgee, i can see through your riddles though.

hoho ;)

Gremlinzzz
March 8th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Someone in my family -- I won't mention who -- dropped their cellphone in the toilet yesterday. Of course the phone doesn't work any more -- well the flash stays on and a nasty sound comes from the speakers, however there is no video to speak of. What's the best way to "dry" the phone out? Although I'm asking this, I have a feeling the situation might be hopeless.

Have you ever dropped your cell phone in the sink, or even worse... the toilet? Did you ever leave it in your pocket and run it through the washer? Did you ever swim with your cell phone in your pocket? Ever have it fall into the pet's water bowl? Getting your cell phone wet usually means you have to replace it, but sometimes if you're fast enough, you might be able to save the phone! Follow the steps outlined in this article to try and save your wet cell phone.

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone