PDA

View Full Version : Suitable UK phone for Ubuntu for Android

iangarforth
March 5th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Hi all,

I'm at that really exciting every-other-year event of upgrading my phone. In the UK, we don't yet have the option of 4G, and I don't want to wait the 6 months or so until we do.

What's the best of the currently available 3G phones that will run Ubuntu for Android? Will the Samsung Galaxy SII run it? Or is there a better choice?

Thanks for your thoughts...

sffvba[e0rt
March 5th, 2012, 08:19 PM
There is no information about this available at this time... As far as I can tell the option to run Ubuntu from an Android phone will lie with manufacturers adding the support from the get-go and there won't necessarily be an option available to simply install it on any phone (but the community may bring out something themselves)...

Only time will tell...

grahammechanical
March 6th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Watch this video demonstration

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2156344/-mwc-ubuntu-android-video-demo

Ignore the MS advert. It will get you talking to yourself. That is a sign of madness.

Note the questions asked during the demonstration. Listen to the replies.

This set up is not Android and Ubuntu on a smartphone. The Android OS and the Ubuntu OS both run on the same Linux kernel. That is a level of integration that cannot be done DIY.

This is something that is embedded at the factory and is integrated with the hardware. It requires the phone to have 2GB of storage space to put Ubuntu in.

I am repeating what is being said during the demonstration.

I doubt very much that you could take a standard Ubuntu do this yourself.

For a start, do you have the right kind of dock?

Regards.

iangarforth
March 6th, 2012, 07:25 AM
No, I appreciate that the docks aren't yet available. I suppose I meant from the required spec detailed on the Ubuntu website, and some educated guessing.

I guess I hadn't thought my way around it being factory installed - I supposed I thought it would be update-installed.

Thanks anyway.

squilookle
March 6th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I got the impression that it might be a while before we actually see this on phones being used day to day anyway.

I'm also looking forward to it, though.