PDA

View Full Version : Restoring access to Gmail

Ganeshx
March 5th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I tried accessing one of my Gmail accounts yesterday (the one I use for school and job -- my business cards are printed with this one). I could not get access to the account, so I started a ticket, or whatever it is called on Google. They said I needed to provide more information. Okay. This is a HUGE inconvenience, but fine. I really need this email account for some very important things. However, the next message I got just plain PISSES ME OFF.

This service requires a $3.00 non-refundable credit card payment.

Oh, hell no.

haqking
March 5th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I tried accessing one of my Gmail accounts yesterday (the one I use for school and job -- my business cards are printed with this one). I could not get access to the account, so I started a ticket, or whatever it is called on Google. They said I needed to provide more information. Okay. This is a HUGE inconvenience, but fine. I really need this email account for some very important things. However, the next message I got just plain PISSES ME OFF.

This service requires a $3.00 non-refundable credit card payment.

Oh, hell no.

so them needing information to help you recover something you NEED is an inconvenience and paying $3.00 is out of order.

So you dont really need the account then ?

Or you dont want to give them any information and $3 is too much ?

Ganeshx
March 5th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Both. I have been paying them for years, with my personal information.

whatthefunk
March 5th, 2012, 04:00 PM
That is ridiculous. Time to find a better email service.

CharlesA
March 5th, 2012, 05:03 PM
so them needing information to help you recover something you NEED is an inconvenience and paying $3.00 is out of order.

So you dont really need the account then ?

Or you dont want to give them any information and $3 is too much ?
3 bucks seems reasonable to me. They would need to go over the information and verify it, which costs manhours.

If you need it that badly you will either pay the 3 bucks or say screw it and move to a different email provider.

Dry Lips
March 5th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Google is already making good money on gmail by selling ads. I see no real reason to charge for basic customer service. If an email service is non-free, then fair enough, you know that you'll have to pay for it. Gmail is advertised as a free service, and sneaking in hidden costs is cheating.

Good alternatives to Gmail:

lavabit.com (great privacy)
zoho.com (great service)

haqking
March 5th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Both. I have been paying them for years, with my personal information.

you chose to give them your personal information so go figure

Quit whining about a free service you want access too, and for support you have to pay a measly $3 bucks.

You either want access or you dont.

MisterGaribaldi
March 5th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Actually, seeing Tux dressed in a tu-tu and dancing to rap versions of Lawrence Welk music in Times Square is ridiculous.

Seriously, why are they charging you for support here? I mean, normally if it's just a blown password or something, you can get it reset. Or can you access the account but there's nothing in it?

If it's important, pay the $3.00. If not, quit complaining!

mörgæs
March 5th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Changed the title to a more informative one.

Besides, I find $3 too small a fee to complain about. Have you considered how much Google is helping the open source world?

snowpine
March 5th, 2012, 05:17 PM
It's not just about the money; it's also about verifying your identity. A small payment from a credit card in your name is a good way to verify this.

haqking
March 5th, 2012, 05:21 PM
if it refers to this it seems reasonable

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=67de7e9f046c3201&hl=en

You are i suspect trying to recover something which you have forgotten and so are asking them for extra assistance.

Why shouldnt they charge you ?

Dont forget your details

whatthefunk
March 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM
It's not just about the money; it's also about verifying your identity. A small payment from a credit card in your name is a good way to verify this.

Im not sure if I would want google to verify my identity....god know who they would eventually sell that to.