PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] private apt repository with ssh access

PutzFrau
March 5th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Hi all!
I want to create a private apt repository that is accessed via ssh. I have been following these instructions: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/513.

The problem I stumble upon is that even with everything set up for rsa authorization I still have to enter my password on apt-get update. I tried several combinations:

client and repository on the same machine (ubuntu 11.04) (deb ssh://repo@localhost:/path/to/repo ./)
repository running in virtual machine (ubuntu 11.04 and mint 12) (deb ssh://repo@<ip address>:/path/to/repo ./)
both client and repository running in virtual machine (ubuntu 11.04 and mint 12)

With every configuration I have to enter the password for repo, when I sudo apt-get update, even though there is no password on my client's rsa keys and I can ssh repo@host without password prompt.

If you have any idea what could be wrong with my configuration, please let me know.
Thank you!

Lars Noodén
March 5th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Check that ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the repository machine's account has the following:

1) it exists,
2) is in the directory ~/.ssh which has the permissions 0700
3) itself has the permissions 0600

In other words, be sure that you can log in via the key manually first.

PutzFrau
March 5th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the answer, but unfortunately it didn't help.

I installed a debian Virtual Machine and from that Virtual Machine I can access the repository on my Host. I can also create another user with a repository on that Virtual Machine and access it in Debian within that Virtual Machine.

Unfortunately it does not work the other way round (Ubuntu accessing a repository on the Debian Machine), because that's what I need.

PutzFrau
March 5th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Ok, finally solved it myself:
I didn't copy the key located in /root/.ssh but in ~/.ssh
And that caused me hours of work and installing OSs on VM. Well, I guess you learn the most from stupid mistakes.

Lars Noodén
March 5th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Edit: never mind.