PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] No display showing after update.

Bagshot
March 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Hello. I installed Ubuntu 11.10 this morning using Wubi on my Windows 7 desktop. It installed fine and worked perfectly. Well, that was until it prompted me to install, or activate, my ATI graphics driver. After rebooting, I could see that the Plymouth splash screen had now moved over to the left, but there was no logo at all. It then progresses to a slightly lighter purple screen, where I'd normally be prompted for log in information, but again, there's no display at all. Just a blank purple screen. It's still working, because if I type my log in password and press enter, I can hear the successful log in sound, but there's no desktop graphics or anything showing at all. Just plain purple.

After this, I decided to uninstall Ubuntu and try again, but this time I won't activate the driver.

Everything was fine until update manager prompted me to install 355 updates. I did, but then after rebooting, the same thing happened again. I can only assume that the ATI driver was amongst the updates somewhere.

I try to go to the terminal, but there's nothing there. Just a black screen with no text or anything.

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Bagshot
March 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I give up!:(

After 5 installation attempts, and not one working properly, I've decided to give up on this. What a waste of time!

I really like what Ubuntu's trying to achieve, but why's it so crap?

raja.genupula
March 5th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Grub Recovery mode -> failsafeX mode -> reinstall your graphics drivers once .

all the best ,