PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Options windows are too large!

Straemer
March 4th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hey, I've been using Ubuntu for a while, and I've always seemed to have an issue that options windows, file browsing dialogues, etc. all seem to open at too large of a vertical resolution for my display. For example, I will open up Thunderbird, and the settings window for an e-mail account will be too long, and I will have to resize it to be able to see the bottom buttons. Some applications will remember when I resize one of these windows, and always bring it up to that size to begin with, but many do not.

This is primarily an issue on my netbook (resolution 1024x600) but I have also seen this issue on my desktop (I think the resolution is 1680x1050).

I thought the issue may have been caused by having multiple workspaces, but switching to just 1 workspace didn't resolve this issue either.

Both systems are using Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity.

PhilGil
March 4th, 2012, 08:14 PM
To the best of my knowledge there's no way to fix the problem (which, as you are aware, is particularly common on netbook screens). I suppose you could file a bug report - the developer might be willing to re-design the option windows in a future release.

There are are only two work-arounds that I'm aware of:

1. Set your netbook screen resolution to panning mode at 1024x800.
2. ALT+Left Mouse Button allows you to drag windows around from anywhere on the window (instead of just from the title bar).

Straemer
March 4th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Ya, I was wanting to file a bug for this, but wasn't entirely sure where to do that. Would this be within the realm of the Unity developers, or the individual application developers?

PhilGil
March 5th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Ya, I was wanting to file a bug for this, but wasn't entirely sure where to do that. Would this be within the realm of the Unity developers, or the individual application developers?
It would be the application developer.