PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Asus laptop, won't install...

Superluke
March 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Just picked up a new Asus K53E laptop and I'm having trouble getting it to install Ubuntu. I made the install flash drive on another Ubuntu system. It will load the GRUB screen with the options to "Install, try out Ubuntu, check disk" but whichever option I choose the system just comes to a stop and the flash drive idles (light fading in and out). Anything obvious I'm missing?

raja.genupula
March 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM
howz the screen at that time ? howz your system behaving at that time ?

Superluke
March 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM
howz the screen at that time ? howz your system behaving at that time ?

It just sits there, no cursor, no hard drive light, no nothing. The power button shuts it off without holding it, so I assume the system is suspended.

pierreyy
March 4th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I suggest that you reinstall the OS on your pendrive and try again because there is clearly something missing in the current installation good luck

raja.genupula
March 5th, 2012, 07:16 AM
It just sits there, no cursor, no hard drive light, no nothing. The power button shuts it off without holding it, so I assume the system is suspended.
In mean are you seeing any thing like wallpaper or color screen or dots on the screen .

mastablasta
March 5th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Just picked up a new Asus K53E laptop and I'm having trouble getting it to install Ubuntu. I made the install flash drive on another Ubuntu system. It will load the GRUB screen with the options to "Install, try out Ubuntu, check disk" but whichever option I choose the system just comes to a stop and the flash drive idles (light fading in and out). Anything obvious I'm missing?

md5sum check on iso and use unetbooting to create the USB disk.

then try to use one of the boot parameters (for example nomodeset).

Superluke
March 6th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Ended up just writing the iso to a cd-rom and it worked fine ... so I never did get to the bottom of the issue, but I got Ubuntu on there anyway. :-)