View Full Version : what do you call people who resist linux

milkboy007
March 4th, 2012, 07:10 PM
im one of those computer guy, for my friends and family and
i'm trying to "expand my knowlegde".:P

if someone, who you show the wonderful thing about linux,
how easy it is to use linux,
how it is enough for daily casual user,
(not gamer, or serious or need certain MS WIN app for job)
how secure its is,
(i always hated dealing with other people pc every few weeks MS WIN virus)
how it can perform all the things they do in MS WIN
yet they still do not want to use it.

what do you call them?:o
both nice and degratory term.

like, "you are such a ..........."

p.s. i want something related, not common/general insults

synaptix
March 4th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I call them human.

KiwiNZ
March 4th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Absolutely nothing, they are entitled to their choice and view without derision. If you use any derogatory terms to them you are very much in the wrong.

winh8r
March 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM
sheep

CharlesA
March 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I call them human.

This.

Absolutely nothing, they are entitled to their choice and view without derision. If you use any derogatory terms to them you are very much in the wrong.

And that.

neu5eeCh
March 4th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Well... that strategy won't work. ;)

I've run into the same reluctance and don't push it. It took two years for my wife to switch, now she loves it. It took three years for another friend to switch (mid-sixties) and now he goes around bragging that he uses Linux.

I just kept setting an example, using Linux to do everything they did. Every time they complained about a virus, or running out of HD space because Windows mysteriously metastasizes over time (something that has never been explained to me here or elsewhere), or spyware, or the cost of X, Y, or Z, I would nod sympathetically and mention how happy I was to not be having their problems and: Oh, isn't that too bad. I remember being just as frustrated. What? No, I can't help you. Staples sells good anti-V software, though. But if you'd like me to partition your drive and install Ubuntu I'd be glad to. Not interested? Well -- I'm sure you will work it out. Good luck with that.

Eventually, they came around. :cool:

Npl
March 4th, 2012, 07:22 PM
people with higher/other standards than you?

keithpeter
March 4th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hello All

Just... people

For most people, a computer is something you buy that comes with an operating system and some applications (actually a lot of people are hazy on the distinction between OS and applications). That is why it is really important that Canonical get a device with Ubuntu on out in the market.

I've had good experiences with suggesting Free applications on non-free platforms; GIMP, audacity, libreoffice, inkscape are all available as 'portable apps' for windows. I stick them on USB sticks and use them at work. People like them and I copy the folders over, and point out that its legal to do so...

...many Colleges and Universities use moodle as a system for managing online learning. That is a really good example of Free software in the business application space....

...then I mention Ubuntu. I have it on my netbook, and students borrow that to listen to YouTubes in class.

rg4w
March 4th, 2012, 07:30 PM
What do you call people who refer to those who prefer anything else as "resisting Linux"?

;)

forrestcupp
March 4th, 2012, 07:36 PM
They're called "norms". And we're 1337 h@X0rz.

milkboy007
March 4th, 2012, 07:37 PM
What do you call people who refer to those who prefer anything else as "resisting Linux"?

;)

A linux "borg", and i'm am one
"RESITANCE IS FUTILE"

hahahahaha.......:D
that was a quick reply

sffvba[e0rt
March 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I would suggest dropping the them vs. us mentality.

Nothing good can come from this thread... CLOSED!