PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.10 Ubuntu Server Installation Help

ioscream
March 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM
This will probably be simple for most of you.

I'm installing Ubuntu Server 64 on a spare emachine, and I'm having a problem with the installation hanging or at least stopping after the DHCPv6 configuration.

I'm booting the installation from a USB harddrive. When the keyboard configuration comes up I alt-f2 to another terminal, create /cdrom and mount the external harddrive to /cdrom (mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom) and everything appears to go as normal once I finish the keyboard configuration. It appears to hang between steps 3 and 4. I believe it's the Pre-configuration step that loads a few files and configures the network before advancing.

The system itself is not hung, but the installation does not advance to the next step. Any advice?

darkod
March 4th, 2012, 03:14 PM
If it literary stops at configuring the network you can cancel the step, the install will continue. It will set it up for DHCP anyway.

Alternatively, configure a static IP. Most servers would usually have a static IP anyway.

ioscream
March 4th, 2012, 03:16 PM
It's currently just sitting at the purple screen which is blank. How would I go about cancelling it?

darkod
March 4th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Not sure about that. Since it's a new install, simply shut down the machine and start a new install.

ioscream
March 4th, 2012, 03:35 PM
This is about the forth installation restart. Wish I could see what was going on or figure out what is causing the installation to just stop.

ioscream
March 4th, 2012, 03:42 PM
After browsing the install guide it appears the installer is hanging on the discover hardware step.

ioscream
March 4th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Okay, on the fourth terminal window (alt-f4) I'm seeing:

[date info] dhclient: XMT: Info-Request on eth0, interval 124300ms.

I typed this by hand as I can't copy and paste. The interval almost doubles each time and this is where the installation stays.

I've tried to ctrl-c this process, but it appears to restart and continue. Anyway around this?

ioscream
March 4th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I solved this by killing the process (dhclient) in another terminal. The installation continued from that point on.

ioscream
March 4th, 2012, 05:02 PM
This has been reported here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netcfg/+bug/892233