PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Tablets Un-Productive?

smc170
March 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Do you think that with the soon focus of Ubuntu on tablets, cars, phones, TV's and such, that less and less attention will be given to the actual development of the desktop?

That's my only fear, and also that Ubuntu wants to go more and more to the cloud! Thats not always good!

grahammechanical
March 4th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Why are you not posting this in the Community Cafe?

This section is for those who are participating in testing the next version of Ubuntu that is under development.

You ask for my opinion. So, I will give it to you.

I think that you are a troll!

Do not feed the Troll!

smc170
March 4th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Sorry for the miscommunication, as I did not intend to make anyone angry so am new to the forums, if a mod wants to move this post, by all means please do so.

Once again I apologize for the misplacement, I'm just trying to get the communities actual opinion.

cariboo
March 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Moved to the Cafe, as this isn't a support thread.

Copper Bezel
March 4th, 2012, 05:49 PM
The core OS has to work no matter what it's running on. I don't see a conflict there. And resources are not static; if Ubuntu can make some deals, like for the closed-source code that links Android and Ubuntu for the Ubuntu-in-Android arrangement, then they can pull more of their developers from volunteering to full-time positions.

keithpeter
March 4th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Once again I apologize for the misplacement, I'm just trying to get the communities actual opinion.

Hello smc170

The moderators did as you asked, so the post is in the right place now! The Ubuntu+1 sub-forum is for plumbers and electricians. We talking about interior decoration here. Forums have to have a structure otherwise it gets noisy.

Hello All

As Copper Bezel says the OS is the same, so testing will continue probably on desktops and laptops in these forums. We are (mostly) unpaid amateurs doing a bit of testing to 'pay back'.

I suspect the future is with small devices that we carry round syncing with cloud storage. I'm a teacher and my current students automatically pull out their phones when I give out a Web site in a lesson. A few years ago, they would have gone home and tried it on the family PC.

I think there will be PCs and laptops around for a long time, and there will be a conservative GNU/Linux distribution (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8403291/centos.html) for them. Canonical need to make money and they have decided to move in the direction of consumer devices. It would be really fun if they were successful!

smc170
March 4th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Thank you Cooper Bezel for a helpful post.