PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] asking about upgrading from 10.10 to 11.04

sve$hnikov
March 4th, 2012, 02:42 PM
hi! I'm afraid from upgrading my system into 11.04 because of problems after that
i want to ask about how to upgrad my system with safe way

howefield
March 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM
If you are afraid of issues and have a currently working system might be best to leave it as it is.

If it were me, I'd probably wait a few weeks for 12.04 to be released and clean install it. You then have 5 years of support and updates.

sve$hnikov
March 4th, 2012, 03:08 PM
thanks so know i have to wait until the new version posted
and upgrade from 10.10 into 12.04 ??

Bucky Ball
March 4th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Yes. But I would wait a month or two after it's released; it will be more stable by then.

My motto: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! As howefield mentioned, if you have a working system now, I'd go with that. The latest isn't always the greatest and if you have no other reason to upgrade than it is the current release I wouldn't bother. You might save yourself some headaches (and if this is a machine you rely on to be stable or a production machine (used for work/study) I definitely wouldn't bother upgrading at this point and stick with the LTS releases. ;)

sve$hnikov
March 4th, 2012, 03:19 PM
thanks i have no probleme to stay in this version and it work good

howefield
March 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Yes. But I would wait a month or two after it's released; it will be more stable by then.

Yup, normally sound advice with which I'd concur, however I'd say that the next LTS (12.04) is already shaping up to be rock solid. The next two months will be largely bug fixing.

Of course, ymmv.

Frogs Hair
March 4th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Keep in mind a direct upgrade may not be possible . 10.04 to 12.04 may be possible because they are both LTS. The the upgrade path with your current version would go 10.10 > 11.04 > 11.10 > 12.04 . I would backup and do a clean installation of 12.04 when released.