PDA

View Full Version : How to boot live cd in vesa mode ?

ViereinhalVs
March 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Heho,

I know this thread is old, but I have exact the same problem here.

I started from an Ubuntu Persistent LiveCD 11.10 (USB) and reach the "Installer Boot Menu"

A normal boot won't work, because my monitor has the "out of range" message after I choose anything in the boot menu.

So I hit the TAB-Key to see the boot params:

/casper/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot-casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz splash --I changed it to

/casper/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot-casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz vga=791 --as well to

/casper/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot-casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz xforcevesa --but it doesn't solves my problem.

Any othr ideas?

thanks in advance
Michael

overdrank
March 3rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hi and welcome, I have moved your post to it's own thread. No need to revive a two year old thread. :)

mastablasta
March 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
have you tried the nomodeset option?

ViereinhalVs
March 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
have you tried the nomodeset option?
Nope,

how does it work?

thanx
Michael

ViereinhalVs
March 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
You are talking about

/casper/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot-casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz nomodeset --
Doesn't work ... :(

A lot of logs, but than a reboot ...

Michael

MAFoElffen
March 3rd, 2012, 10:40 PM
You are talking about

/casper/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot-casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz nomodeset --Doesn't work ... :(

A lot of logs, but than a reboot ...

Michael
Michael,

Here is what I do- Mostly on Servers where they only have VGA Graphics or for older Desktops... add the vga switch as

vga=268
Which is VESA, but not recognized in Linux. It displays an error message, but offers instead a text menu with display options in VESA VGA modes. Select a basic option (will be type a letter from the menu, then <Enter>).

Hope this info helps.

What video chipset do you have?