PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 - restore standard bootloader rathan than purple splash screen

AD-RS1600i
March 3rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Good Afternoon All,

Still thoroughly enjoying Ubuntu now having completely moved over from my Windows machine - I'm using Virtual Box with a XP installation for any Microsoft only stuff I am missing :)

Does anyone know how to restore the standard Linux boot loader rather than the Ubuntu purple boot screen? I like seeing all the control daemons starting up so I can see what is going wrong, rather than sit there totally ignorant watching the dots goes round - reminded me Windows!

I have edited /etc/default/grub removing 'quiet Splash' from:-

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

on the advice on this subject for Ubuntu 10.04 - sadly on doing this I only get a blank purple screen..! :)

Many thanks in advanced everyone, really kind thank you. :popcorn:

Adrian

Tiganjero
March 3rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Open up /etc/default/grub and change

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text"
then run

echo 'manual' | sudo tee /etc/init/lightdm.override
sudo update-grub
That should do it.

Cheers,
George

AD-RS1600i
March 4th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Hi George - many thanks for taking time to reply - I will take a look tomorrow and report back - thank you:D

AD-RS1600i
March 5th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Open up /etc/default/grub and change

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text"
then run

echo 'manual' | sudo tee /etc/init/lightdm.override
sudo update-grub
That should do it.

Cheers,
George

Thanks for taking time on this but unfortunately on applying the above one is left with a command line prompt on boot.. I think the 'lightdm.override' command knocks out the Unity Gnome interface some how. :(

AD-RS1600i
March 5th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Its really strange, I removed the created file lightdm.override and replaced the quiet splash text and now my machine boots with a purple screen only and without the Default Ubuntu splash screen with activity dots.. :(

tbhatia4
March 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Its really strange, I removed the created file lightdm.override and replaced the quiet splash text and now my machine boots with a purple screen only and without the Default Ubuntu splash screen with activity dots.. :(

try this in terminal and select gdm

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

reboot after completion and this should solve your concern