PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xubuntu 11.10 installed nautilus

cookiepowa
March 3rd, 2012, 12:10 PM
hiya,

so i just installed xubunrtu 11.10, only to discover it uses thunar which dont have network support. so i went to terminal and apt-get install nautilus

also set in preffered applications file manager to nautilus

now when i rebooted none of my desktop icons works, when i double click on the icons it give me this message:

Failed to execute program /usr/bin/Thunar: Success

odd thing is using the dock on the bottom to luanch a file browser uses nautilus and turns my desktop to a blank blue background.

so any one know how i can fix this?

kazztan0325
March 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Hi cookiepowa,

If you would like to avoid the odd things, I think you might want to install "pcmanfm" file manager and set it as preferred file manager.

In my case, I also installed "Nautilus" on Xubuntu Session, because I need to install "nautilus-dropbox" to use Dropbox.
But as for file manager, I like to use "pcmanfm" more than "Thunar" and "Nautilus", so I installed "pcmanfm" and set it as preferred file manager.

This way, the odd thing which you mentioned does not occur even if I open "Nautilus".
However, I don't know why but "Thunar" opens when I double click on the desktop Home icon...

Toz
March 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
hiya,

so i just installed xubunrtu 11.10, only to discover it uses thunar which dont have network support.
Thunar does have network support. Make sure you install gvfs-backends.

so i went to terminal and apt-get install nautilus

also set in preffered applications file manager to nautilus

now when i rebooted none of my desktop icons works, when i double click on the icons it give me this message:

Failed to execute program /usr/bin/Thunar: Success
To make nautilus default, see this link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/74534/set-nautilus-as-default-file-manager-in-xubuntu

odd thing is using the dock on the bottom to luanch a file browser uses nautilus and turns my desktop to a blank blue background.

so any one know how i can fix this?
Nautilus is changing the background because it also, by default, manages the desktop. See this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1768245.

And oh, btw, welcome to the forums.

rattskjelke
March 3rd, 2012, 09:59 PM
When you install another file manager besides Thunar how do you make it the default?

Toz
March 4th, 2012, 01:11 AM
If its nautilus, first disable its ability to control the desktop. Open a terminal window and run the following commands:

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background false

Logout and back in again.

Krytarik
March 4th, 2012, 02:02 AM
If its nautilus, first disable its ability to control the desktop. Open a terminal window and run the following commands:

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background false
Logout and back in again.
Since *ubuntu 11.10, it's:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background draw-backround falseAnd the changes should take effect immediately.

Regards.

cookiepowa
March 7th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Since *ubuntu 11.10, it's:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background draw-backround falseAnd the changes should take effect immediately.

Regards.

thanks this worked :D

last problem is fixing the desktop icons to use nautilus instead of thunar and giving me a error. any ideas?

Rytron
March 22nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
I installed nautilus in Xubuntu 11.10 but get this [image (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=206223&d=1320334634)] on my desktop when I launch nautilus.

Update:
This solves it. As Krytarik stated earlier:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background draw-backround false