PDA

View Full Version : When rock ROCKED!

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah - well -- When I was a teen we had this:

Van Halen -- Mean Streets (http://www.madcarters.com/ms.m3u) ( off the Fair Warning LP)

Whaddya you got today that rocks?

Bah!

I just scared the hell out of my son -- I put it to 11.

GawDAMN !!! That Rocks.

To put things into perspective, Van Halen has sucked since this period.

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Yeah - well -- When I was a kid we had this:

Van Halen -- Mean Streets ( off the Fair Warning LP)

Whaddya you got today that rocks?

Bah!

I just scared the hell out of my son -- I put it to 11.

GawDAMN !!! That Rocks.

To put things into perspective, Van Halen has sucked since this period.
Nothing can compare with Van Halen but in the 90s we had (some we still do):
U2 <- If y'all dont like it, they're still gonna be the best rock band of the past 20 yrs.
Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails <- He came out with Industrial from scratch
Blind Melon [lead singer - OD]
Trent Reznor [OD - still alive]
Alice in Chains [lead singer - OD]
Kurt Cobain [lead singer - OD and Shot]
Trent Reznor [OD - still alive]
Green Day's 1994 Dookie
Dave Navarro [OD - still alive]

do i see a pattern?

anything else ... pure scrap

btw, the mp3 link says "This site is down for maintenance.
Please check back again soon."

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I'm talking about blow-your-face-out rock and roll. There might be 1 or MAYBE 2 songs by artists in the list you provided that rock. I can think of one from NIN.

I've been a jazz/blues guy all my life, but every once in a while I want my heart to race...my ears to bleed...my fingers to ache after playing...and out of the past 45 years of rock there are only a handful of songs that do it.

Kickstart my Heart from Motley Crue does it for me, too... but it's gotta be on 11.

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I'm talking about blow-your-face-out rock and roll. There might be 1 or MAYBE 2 songs by artists in the list you provided that rock. I can think of one from NIN.

I've been a jazz/blues guy all my life, but every once in a while I want my heart to race...my ears to bleed...my fingers to ache after playing...and out of the past 45 years of rock there are only a handful of songs that do it.

Kickstart my Heart from Motley Crue does it for me, too... but it's gotta be on 11.
Only one from NIN ?!
Closer, Perfect Dr_g, March of the Pigs, Piggy

But dude come on :P , you gotta love Tool though its not blowyourface up.
Aenime, lateralus, H__k3r without a _ _ nis, The Patient.

i can go on for hours.

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 06:52 PM
OK -- I'll give you Tool...and Christ I LOVE Rage Against the Machine.

OK -- you've got those.

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 06:57 PM
OK -- I'll give you Tool...and Christ I LOVE Rage Against the Machine.

OK -- you've got those.
Ill give you one
One of the most powerful songs ever (http://www.letssingit.com/?http://www.letssingit.com/van-halen-aint-talking-bout-love-cx8whf3.html)

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 07:02 PM
My love is rotten to the core...

Give a listen to the Mean Streets link I posted.....my site is down but it's a direct link to an mp3...should work.

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Give a listen to the Mean Streets link I posted.....my site is down but it's a direct link to an mp3...should work.
All I see is the grinch telling me the sites down
i even tried wgetting the link

jdodson
March 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM

there is a quote after the mp3. that is why it says it is down. just remove the garbage after the "3" and you should be able to get the file.

p.s. i think distributing a copyright song is illegal in the states without permission. or at least thats what i come to understand 8-[

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Homer said --

"I'm a rocker - I don't care for rules"

EDIT: I changed it to an .m3u that way I'm not distributing anything...can't download.

I had music ( tons) on my old MadCarter's site this way for 2 years...it was OK with all the artists (Blues Traveler, Little Feat, et al. -- I'm aware you're a mod - but there will be no trouble for this).

I fixed it - listen up

Rock ON

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Homer said --

"I'm a rocker - I don't care for rules"

Ba hahahaha...it'll be down later.

EDIT: I'll change it to an .m3u that way I'm not distributing anything.

I fixed it - listen up

Rock ON
Grrrrr my sound system just suddenly got disabled grrrrrrr

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 07:27 PM
What -- not by accessing an .m3u file? XMMS works a charm with this.

Here's how I do it -- artists are happy...

Make a file with the URL of the tune in it, example

http://www.domain.com/directory/tune.mp3

save it as whatever.m3u

put the file and the tune on your site. Now, just point a link to your .m3u file. I had made many seperate .m3u files, one pointing to each tune I had on my site.This way nobody can really download the tune(s). When I did this in the past I contacted every artist I posted tunes for and they were all for it.

jdodsons right to be wary, however -- the climate sucks now -- but I have precedence for this and it's commonplace.

jdodson
March 11th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I had made many seperate .m3u files, one pointing to each tune I had on my site.This way nobody can really download the tune(s).

streamripper. :mrgreen:

jdodsons right to be wary, however -- the climate sucks now -- but I have precedence for this and it's commonplace.

yeah i really am. because technically i "think" you are distributing(even though it is a stream) a song without permission of van halen, but i won't lock the thread or anything. i know the RIAA does scour the web for sites hosting music. i know blues traveller and little feat are exceptions that allow distribution. the dave mathews band is ok with live bootlegs and bands like phish give it away online anyway. anyways, don't mean to be a sour grape, rock on.

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 07:41 PM
machiner, if someone knocks on your door... dont open
lol ;)

Yukonjack
March 11th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Well since I'm an old timer here are some of my favorites and yes Van Helen I still got this lp Jamie is crying an old one.

Rory Gallagher Irish Tour '74 Some good kick ass blues-rock
Foghat Fool for the City
Blue Oyster Cult Career of evil The metal years. This should make your ears bleed.
Nazareth Always good to rock you any cd's
And for a new commer I think they only made one cd
The Four Horseman Nobody said it was Easy This is some of the best kick ass rock I've listen too for a new band.
Only a few of my favorites. :)

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 07:45 PM
machiner, if someone knocks on your door... dont open
lol ;)

As they say in Maine:

I've got 5 acres in the back, a shotgun, and a shovel.

Baaaaaaa hahahahahahhaha...no worries, man.

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Well since I'm an old timer here are some of my favorites and yes Van Helen I still got this lp Jamie is crying an old one.

Foghat Fool for the City
Blue Oyster Cult Career of evil The metal years. This should make your ears bleed.
The Four Horseman Nobody said it was Easy This is some of the best kick ass rock I've listen too for a new band.
Wow ... I haven't heard a single song by any of those bands , boy do I feel young/pitiful right now.

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Foghat Fool for the City

All right, old man (wink, wink - nudge, nudge) -- I'll give you BOC....and although it's not that heavy - "Whiskey Drinkin' Woman" from Nazareth is terrific.

Yukonjack
March 11th, 2005, 07:50 PM
All right, old man (wink, wink - nudge, nudge) -- I'll give you BOC....and although it's not that heavy - "Whiskey Drinkin' Woman" from Nazareth is terrific.

Hehehe Hair of the dog :) Yes Nazareth just plain rocks you.

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Anyone liking like just surfaced rock bands? only good one/songs I can think of are

Mars Volta's
1.inertiatic esp 2. son et lumiere [get those 2]

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Hehehe Hair of the dog :)

Amen to that. I remember some girlfriend wanted me to hear "Love Hurts" yeah -- well ...Then I saw them on Don Kirschner's Rock Hour (remember that?!) and I bouthg the album. Love it -- still listen every once in a while -- but my beloved turntable broke a coupla months ago.

Lots of things are breaking around my house lately...toaster ovens...turntables...oven door handles...vacume cleaner switches. Damn!

I saw "Hot Child in the City" (Nick Gilder) on DKRH once, too - thought it was the berries....then I got a clue -- someone turned me on to Joe Williams, Lester McCann
Canned Heat and all that -- BUt we're talking about songs that ROCK here today....

jwb
March 11th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Fair Warning was an awesome album. I used to be the biggest VH freak in high school.

Another great rock band.....

You could put big black letters on a plain white cover, simply labeled "Loud, Kick Your Butt All Over the Place Rock and Roll"..... who would that be?

AC/DC.

Insert CD. Turn it all the way up. Rock.

If you're a guitarist, play along. it's all in A or E, it's all simple chords, and you don't need a fancy rack of pedals.

I mean- they used freaking CANNONS in "For Those About To Rock". How cool is that?

:-)

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 08:04 PM
AC/DC . Not my era but I got nothing but respect for them.

Lol I feel so dumb I just had a flashback of Beavis and Butthead's AC/DC tshirt. That was like my first encounter with it :( lol.

http://cristal.inria.fr/~harley/pics/bnb.experience.gif

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM
I've been waiting for the AC-DC freaks to chime in....They are the ONLY band I've seen live > 2ce.

Hell, I even slept out for tickets in the 9th grade (1982 -- when you could still do that sort of [outrageously fun] thing) The 1st time I saw them they weren't allowed to use the cannons at the arena...but the next coupla times....DAMN!

AC-DC ROCKS!

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 08:09 PM
http://cristal.inria.fr/~harley/pics/bnb.experience.gif

Hey Bored -- don't sweat it - when your old(ish) like us -- maybe your kids will tell you to:

"TURN IT DOWN, DADDY"

I just say "bite me" and turn my amp up!!!!!

Yukonjack
Amen to that. I remember some girlfriend wanted me to hear "Love Hurts" yeah -- well ...Then I saw them on Don Kirschner's Rock Hour (remember that?!) and I bouthg the album. Love it -- still listen every once in a while -- but my beloved turntable broke a coupla months ago.
Lots of things are breaking around my house lately...toaster ovens...turntables...oven door handles...vacume cleaner switches. Damn!
I saw "Hot Child in the City" (Nick Gilder) on DKRH once, too - thought it was the berries....then I got a clue -- someone turned me on to Joe Williams, Lester McCann
Canned Heat and all that -- BUt we're talking about songs that ROCK here today....

Hahahaha sounds like my place :)
Well I'm not to sure about songs that rocks today not many but I guess anything from Nickleback and Collective Soul works for me and another one that I should mention, he's an old timer with a fairly new cd is
Sammy Hagar Ten 13
Good old Sammy still rocking very nice to see.

jwb
I've been waiting for the AC-DC freaks to chime in....They are the ONLY band I've seen live > 2ce.

Hell, I even slept out for tickets in the 9th grade (1982 -- when you could still do that sort of [outrageously fun] thing) The 1st time I saw them they weren't allowed to use the cannons at the arena...but the next coupla times....DAMN!

AC-DC ROCKS!

Dude...... I got lucky..... long, long, LONG story...... but in 1988 (or 89..... been a while) I hung out with Angus, courtesy of a roadie that I helped find a 45 RPM record for his daughter at a music store I worked at.

Un-freaking-believable story so i won't tell it. You'd all call me liars anyway.

And the show ROCKED.

This was on the Blow Up Your Video tour.

What a blast!

ThePainter
Hi,
The original post asked what rocked today.
Well I grew up during the 70's in Britain and I was a Punk.
I loved and still do - Stranglers, UK Subs, Stiff little Fingers, Clash etc.
I have just been introduced to a modern band called "Greenday" and they do a few slow ballad songs but a lot of their stuff has the old style heavy Bass Guitar and drums and it really takes me back to the old stuff.
I like a lot of stuff but these are the first modern band that really Rocks me.

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Dude...... I got lucky..... long, long, LONG story...... but in 1988 (or 89..... been a while) I hung out with Angus, courtesy of a roadie that I helped find a 45 RPM record for his daughter at a music store I worked at.

Un-freaking-believable story so i won't tell it. You'd all call me liars anyway.

And the show ROCKED.

This was on the Blow Up Your Video tour.

What a blast!

If I was still 14 I'd say: "you SUCK!" LOL

Yukonjack
March 11th, 2005, 08:12 PM
http://cristal.inria.fr/%7Eharley/pics/bnb.experience.gif

Urgggg These two [expletive] I'm having nightmares it can't be arrggggg........

jwb
March 11th, 2005, 08:16 PM
What about the opening to "Iron Man"? How cool was that. How many times did you try to imitate that "I AM IRON MAN" line. We used to holler into the back of a fan to try and get that effect.

This was before Atari, so we had no toys to speak of. :-)

Guns and Roses rocked HARD..... briefly.

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 08:21 PM
"...and turn that Guns and Butter down!" G-N-R

The Clash rocked, too - there's no doubt.

Black Sabbath had a sort of drone to them I thought -- I loved them - and Geezer Butler smoked...I can't remember if it's on Vol.4 or another record, but they had some tune that wasn't that popular that blew me away....

I gotta mention the early 1980's -- Randy Rhodes playing with Ozzy.

I remember falling asleep to a simulcast concert of Ozzy and Randy's playing made my heart race. I couldn't sleep. I got up and started dancing around the room with my headphones on and almost hurt myself...from the rockin'.

jwb
March 11th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I gotta mention the early 1980's -- Randy Rhodes playing with Ozzy.

I remember falling asleep to a simulcast concert of Ozzy and Randy's playing made my heart race. I couldn't sleep. I got up and started dancing around the room with my headphones on and almost hurt myself...from the rockin'.

Does that solo on the live album released after Randy's death just make the hair on your stick stand up, and bring tears to your eyes? Awesome, awesome stuff.

Can you believe Randy played in Quiet Riot before that?

Speaking of which..... I still have a Quiet Riot picture disk....... bet you young guys never heard of THOSE.

"Slick....... black........ CADILLAC!"

gylf
March 11th, 2005, 08:29 PM
RUSH
yet another reason to love Canada
not hard rock, but good stuff

oh and Led Zeppelin...

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 08:30 PM
RUSH
yet another reason to love Canada
not hard rock, but good stuff

oh and Led Zeppelin...

Listen to Workin' Man. Put it to 11. That ROCKS!

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Speaking of which..... I still have a Quiet Riot picture disk....... bet you young guys never heard of THOSE.

"Slick....... black........ CADILLAC!"

I've got a Def Leppard (forgive me -- but they were pretty hot in High School) picture disc.

Does that solo on the live album released after Randy's death just make the hair on your stick stand up, and bring tears to your eyes? Awesome, awesome stuff.

I never heard it. It MUST smoke!

Yukonjack
March 11th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Hi,
The original post asked what rocked today.
Well I grew up during the 70's in Britain and I was a Punk.
I loved and still do - Stranglers, UK Subs, Stiff little Fingers, Clash etc.
I have just been introduced to a modern band called "Greenday" and they do a few slow ballad songs but a lot of their stuff has the old style heavy Bass Guitar and drums and it really takes me back to the old stuff.
I like a lot of stuff but these are the first modern band that really Rocks me.

Yes a lot of these I enjoy also in them days and not to forget Brian Eno hehehe
Here is one of the only Green Day I have.

jwb
March 11th, 2005, 08:40 PM
oh and Led Zeppelin...

Oh man, don't get me started. My mom says whenever she sees any guitar, she can still hear me back in my room for HOURS on end learning Stairway to heaven. Note for painstaking note.

I loved Zep. When i played their stuff, I even mimiced Paiges mistakes- deliberately.

Yukonjack
March 11th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Listen to Workin' Man. Put it to 11. That ROCKS!

Along with Bastille Day, A Passage To Bangkok turn it up and up

While on Canadian bands Pat Travers Boom Boom goes The Lights awesome live.

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 08:50 PM
OK -- now hold on. I'm not gonna say that I didn't love (still love) Zeppelin -- but what songs rocked harder or even as hard as the one I started this thread off with?

Kashmir? Of course, being a self-respecting rocker -- I have every record they made, except CODA. Have you seen the DVD released last year?

If we had that as kids (wasn't much footage of Zep, they were damned particular) I would've played the drums instead of Bass.

Bonzo was the hardest rockin' drummer ever. (C'mon you apacie and baker freaks - and even pert -- nobody rocked harder than John Bonham).

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Along with Bastille Day, A Passage To Bangkok turn it up and up

While on Canadian bands Pat Travers Boom Boom goes The Lights awesome live.

Bastille Day kicks ****. I bought the 3 record set (Archives) a million years ago.

I think I'm going bald...oh, that's a Rush tune, too.

Ba hahaha.

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 09:00 PM
green day's dookie [1994]

their best album to date
basket case rules!

You all had ac/dc when you all were young.
those guys [green day] were my first "rock rulz" band.

weve seen you guys talk 70s, 80s, THIS were the 90s :D
... I do wish I had heard Tool back then

jwb
March 11th, 2005, 09:17 PM
OK -- now hold on. I'm not gonna say that I didn't love (still love) Zeppelin -- but what songs rocked harder or even as hard as the one I started this thread off with?

Kashmir? Of course, being a self-respecting rocker -- I have every record they made, except CODA. Have you seen the DVD released last year?

If we had that as kids (wasn't much footage of Zep, they were damned particular) I would've played the drums instead of Bass.

Bonzo was the hardest rockin' drummer ever. (C'mon you apacie and baker freaks - and even pert -- nobody rocked harder than John Bonham).

I think if you look at the first 3 or 4 albums, they had some hard rockers on them. But Ihear what yer saying...... Zep was in their own genre almost...... They could rock with the best of them. But if you're just wanting loud, bang yer head against the wall, non-stop rock and roll....... I think we're right back at AC/DC. :-)

Nugent's first solo album was that way, too.

machiner
March 11th, 2005, 09:33 PM
"...OH MY GOD -- The Great White Buffalo

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh"

That's a nugent lyric. He wrote that (kassetra was here)!

landotter
March 11th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Any post-punkers out there?

From Sugar's Copper Blue

The end of track 3, Changes, and it dissolves into murk and the opening of track 4, Helpless with it's pounding martial and mathmatical drive is next to heaven.

Playing it now and feeling my earwax loosen.

:D

morethannoise
March 11th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Deep Purple = Loud.

morethannoise
March 11th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I'm not up on new music as it for the most part doesn't appeal to me. Now, from the 80's on back, that I can listen to.

Boston in the 70's ( not that 80's "Amanda" nonsense)

Bad Company could rock too.

darkoptix
March 12th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Uh, Rock rocked then, and still rocks... well for me anyway...
Here are some of my newer favs:
Tool
NIN
Matt Good
Smashing Pumpkins
Alexisonfire ---- OMFG this band owns... another reason Canada slays for rock!
Radiohead
Muse
Modest Mouse
Iron Maiden
Deftones
and much much more...

Rancoras
March 12th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Disturbed - Droppin' Plates

-- 'nuff said

cacofonix
March 12th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Rammstein any thing of theirs

Bubbling Zombie
March 12th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Zeppelin, doors, dead kennedys (yeah, i know that last one doesn't really fit into that row, but still :p )

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Dookie isn't Green Day's best album, IMO. It's fantastic, but American Idiot is FANF***ingTASTIC. It's just without a doubt one of my favorite albums of all time.

Led Zeppelin: Good, and rock, but did they REALLY rock hard? Even Kashmir is slow and laid back. AC/DC really is one of the bands that just straight up rocked hard all the time. I just have to be in the right mood, or his voice (either of them) makes me want to punch something.

The Darkness. That's a modern band that rocks hard. You might call it a gag album or just a novelty album, but I REALLY like the music. It reminds me of when rock rocked.

Now here's my theory. Regardless of what music you LIKE, the music that really ROCKS at this point, is Hip-Hop, R&B, Rap, etc. Just listen to Bombs Over Baghdad by Outkast, or Anxiety by Black Eyed Peas. Again, you may not like Hip-Hop, Rap, and R&B, but if you want high-energy, in your face, music that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck the way that the early 80s rockers did, that's where it's coming from, mostly.

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 05:12 PM
OK OK ---

goto the beginning of this thread -- click on the mean streets link -- turn it up to 11-- and listen. Feel that - yeah - you don't get much of that anymore these days...we have producers that want a smoother sound for a wider audience. Translation: LAME.

Eddie Van Halen was pretty overated at the time -- but there's no denying that his licks in that tune will kick your ****.

I've listend to Rammstein and some others and while their overall sound likes to rock ( and usually pretty hard) there's a certain lack of melody. There's a lack of "clarity-of-crunch".

Most of the heavy stuff of today is just gutteral vocals and Metallica like riffs, which frankly - my 3 year old boy can fall asleep to. Metallica sucks -- it's metal + brittney Spears (ok - that's off my chest).

There is one band that's up and comming that I listened to the other day , name is 3 syllables, starts with a "V" -- I forgot.

-->EDIT: The band's name is Trivium. They're a little "smooth" but they ROCK!<--

Those fellas rock...but again, it's like metal + Boston.....and what's with the gutteral noises -- is this supposed to signify some raw metal -- some awesome power of "in-your-face"? Granted, some of modern bands really know how to mate that sound with the thump of rhythm and a screaming guitar -- but the numbness of their droning just sucks all the power out of it.

Listen to Mean Streets again...That sound, that effect-ladened, raw guitar crunch is rarely seen anymore.

So - to me, yeah, the title of this thread is accurate. I haven't heard many songs that come close to that rawness...makes my heart speed up and I feel inhibitions slip away -- that's what's SUPPOSED to happen.

You're supposed to want to look over your shoulder listening to metal - it wants to suck you in and step outside yourself just long enough to witness your own smallness.

Damn -- I feel like a critic.

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM
AC/DC really is one of the bands that just straight up rocked hard all the time. I just have to be in the right mood, or his voice (either of them) makes me want to punch something.

Then the song has done its job, ey?

Yukonjack
March 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Not to forget Kiss now these guy will rock the hell out of you, turn it real loud. :)

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 06:33 PM
*shudder*
I don't get the appeal of KISS. I can fall asleep listening to them. EASILY. Now, Gene Simmons solo album that came out last year. That thing freakin' rocks hard!

Yukonjack
March 12th, 2005, 06:48 PM
*shudder*
I don't get the appeal of KISS. I can fall asleep listening to them. EASILY. Now, Gene Simmons solo album that came out last year. That thing freakin' rocks hard!

Only a few Kiss album the early ones were good but very hard on speakers hehehe I will have to get the new Gene Simmons and see.
Kiss is like AC/DC an aquire taste :)

sethosayher
March 12th, 2005, 07:07 PM
My favorite rock bands are:

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Van Halen
Thin Lizzy
Jethro Tull

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Thin Lizzy and Jethro Tull freakin' rock.

*thinking*
I was born in 81, didn't start getting into music until about 90ish, why do I know all these older bands?
Oh yeah, because I'm a music geek. Seriously, remember that show "Beat the Geeks?" I always wanted to take on the music geek

luna6
March 12th, 2005, 08:50 PM
im out there a little bit in left field, but I cant stand modern rock / alternative...but stuff going on in the indie rock music scene makes go gaga...stuff like the Shins, American Analog Set, The Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, Interpol ...etc also the most creative album I have heard to date is Animal Collective's Song Tungs....which is about as creative as any album I have heard in a long time....
I also go for the electronic glitch type of sounds made popular by Radiohead's Kid A and the Postal Service's Give Up ...especially the German label Morr Musc acts like Lali Puna, Ms. John Soda, B. Fleischman, Mum etc....
and since I am Korean theres good Korean music in the way of 3rd Line Butterfly, The The, Loveholic which probably is better than most expects if not exposed to that type....
and finally if you have no clue what I am talking about ...I run a shoutcast server off a Ubuntu box at http://lunapark.no-ip.com:8000 ....feel free to check it out....open it up in XMMS, Amarok, Rhythmbox ..etc by selcting play url...and typing that in (http://lunapark.no-ip.com:8000) ....cheers...and Ubuntu ROCKS!

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 10:50 PM
You might like the Zutons, The Coral, or Aqueduct. Check 'em out. I'll definitely check out your shoutcast server some time.

Yukonjack
March 12th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I run a shoutcast server off a Ubuntu box at http://lunapark.no-ip.com:8000 ....feel free to check it out....open it up in XMMS, Amarok, Rhythmbox ..etc by selcting play url...and typing that in (http://lunapark.no-ip.com:8000) ....cheers...and Ubuntu ROCKS!

Cool and thanks, having a listen right now in Rhythmbox and mark you as Ubuntu music

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 02:47 AM
im out there a little bit in left field, but I cant stand modern rock / alternative...but stuff going on in the indie rock music scene makes go gaga...stuff like the Shins, American Analog Set, The Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, Interpol ...etc also the most creative album I have heard to date is Animal Collective's Song Tungs....which is about as creative as any album I have heard in a long time....

You might also like Tiger Army! My God, this is beautiful, incredible music.

Anyway, on topic, rock that REALLY ROCKS.

Cowboy Mouth. It's not all heavy, in fact none of it could even remotely be considered metal. There's some punkish stuff, some grunge, but mostly striaght up Louisiana Rock & Roll. It's high-energy, in-your-face at times, emotional, deep, and just amazing. Most people look at me with a blank stare when I say "Cowboy Mouth" until I sing the chorus of their ONE big single, Jenny Says--
"Jenny Sa-ays
Turn off the radio
Jenny sa-ays
Turn off the lights
Jenny sa-ays
Turn off the video
You beat yourself up
Just to bring yourself down
let it go, let it go, let it go x2
When the world is comin' down on me I let it GO!"

I've been to about 20 Cowboy Mouth concerts and I have yet to see anyone leave the building who wasn't sweating profusely. Never seen anyone leave with their voice still intact. Never seen anyone leave upset. To quote one of the reviews I read about them: "On a bad night, Cowboy Mouth will tear the roof off. On a good night, they will SAVE YOUR SOUL."

EDIT: Ya know, I've been wanting to go through every album I own and listen to them all at least once for about 4 years now. My fiancee suggested I document it all with reviews of each album, and I said "ya know, that's an awesome idea!" and that was about a half a year ago, and I have yet to start this project. But this thread is making me want to write reviews of everything I have an opinion on! I hope this doesn't wear off by tomorrow, I'll definitely start on it ;)

Yukonjack
March 13th, 2005, 03:46 AM
But this thread is making me want to write reviews of everything I have an opinion on! I hope this doesn't wear off by tomorrow, I'll definitely start on it ;)

I for one would enjoy reading it :grin:
Start now so by tomorrow you will have one at leat, incase it wears off hehehehe

luna6
March 13th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Panickedthumb, since you mentioned cowboy mouth and seeing them 20 times, I am guessing you are somewhere in Louisiana? I live in New Orleans as well so why I mentioned, but havent checked out Cowboy Mouth live, but have heard them on the radio, and I think they play jazz fest here often...

jakeslife
March 13th, 2005, 09:19 PM
You got some rock? Rock? Yeah? Put your hands up against the car. Yep, a little bit of rock!