PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing first time from a hard drive

Duncspur
March 2nd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Hi,

Firstly, please excuse the naivety of my post but I am finding this whole thing a bit confusing!

My old laptop has died on me (Windows had a major seizure) - the hard drive is okay but the CD drive no longer works. I have taken out the hard drive and reformatted it. It is now blank and I only want Ubuntu on it.

I have an external hd which is being recognised as bootable in the BIOS, but I can't seem to find anyway to burn the ISO to the external hard drive and make it bootable.

Is there a way to do this?

Any help would be gratefully received,

Duncan

LinuxFan999
March 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM
Hi,

Firstly, please excuse the naivety of my post but I am finding this whole thing a bit confusing!

My old laptop has died on me (Windows had a major seizure) - the hard drive is okay but the CD drive no longer works. I have taken out the hard drive and reformatted it. It is now blank and I only want Ubuntu on it.

I have an external hd which is being recognised as bootable in the BIOS, but I can't seem to find anyway to burn the ISO to the external hard drive and make it bootable.

Duncan
It isn't your laptop that died, but Windows has "died".

I do not know of any way to "burn" an ISO image to an external Hard Drive.
If you have a USB flash drive, you can use that to install Ubuntu.

Borunco
March 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hi,

Duncan

Hi try this it whttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1872303 works with any Hdd on usb

Duncspur
March 12th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Worked perfectly. Thanks so much for all your help.

DS

lrgmmc
March 12th, 2012, 02:16 AM
glad to hear all went well. :) could you please mark thread as solved. Thanks.