View Full Version : Hackers

Gremlinzzz
March 2nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
This amazes me!
Hackers had 'full functional control' of Nasa computers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17231695

sffvba[e0rt
March 2nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
NASA is for script-kiddies... all the cool kids know that to be righteous you need to get into a Gibson...

Dangertux
March 2nd, 2012, 11:39 PM
Hey cereal you owe me a pack of fries man...

enjoijesus94
March 2nd, 2012, 11:47 PM
They Prob Used Other Peoples Tools To Do It.

The Thing That People Need To Understand Is That
Dont Use Other Peoples Stuff And Say 'Yea Im A Hacker'

Yet Take Time And Write Your Own Tools That Exploits The System Or DataBase.

So Keep That In Mind.

enjoijesus94
March 2nd, 2012, 11:50 PM
NASA is for script-kiddies... all the cool kids know that to be righteous you need to get into a Gibson...

Haha for real, most tools today that other hackers made is what people are using to get into most systems.

'Make Your Own Tools Guys'

Gremlinzzz
March 3rd, 2012, 03:43 AM
They can send computer controlled explorers to Mars! but they can't create a firewall to keep hackers out:popcorn:

The best way to unlock a door is to be inside the house!

daslinkard
March 3rd, 2012, 06:23 AM
I love, love, love the movie "Hackers" and not just because of Angelina Jolie...hard to believe that movie is what....17 years old?????? Holy cow I am getting old. :(

|{urse
March 3rd, 2012, 06:52 AM
The Plague: You wanted to know who I am, Zero Cool? Well, let me explain the New World Order. Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are Samurai... the Keyboard Cowboys... and all those other people who have no idea what's going on are the cattle... Moooo.

Haha love that line.

Paqman
March 3rd, 2012, 08:42 AM
'full functional control' of Nasa computers

"NASA computers" is pretty vague. There's a big difference in impact between cracking open the PC used by the receptionist at JPL and getting into hardware that's controlling spacecraft. The article doesn't really go into the specifics, so it's impossible to say whether this is significant or a non-story.

jerenept
March 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
"NASA computers" is pretty vague. There's a big difference in impact between cracking open the PC used by the receptionist at JPL and getting into hardware that's controlling spacecraft. The article doesn't really go into the specifics, so it's impossible to say whether this is significant or a non-story.

Probably a non-story, like the CIA hack.

grahammechanical
March 3rd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Yes, but it helps to panic the politicians into allocating more money.

lovinglinux
March 3rd, 2012, 08:47 PM
I bet it was Sheldon trying to prevent Wolowitz from getting kicked out of the space program.

Gremlinzzz
March 4th, 2012, 01:00 AM
LOL, I knew it was a inside job.:popcorn:

MisterGaribaldi
March 4th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Doesn't say very much for the design of the tech infrastructure in place on- and off-board ISS if this is even half-correct.

Then again, I really don't have much faith and confidence in NASA or this and previous administrations, or their supporting congresses, either.

Paqman
March 4th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Doesn't say very much for the design of the tech infrastructure in place on- and off-board ISS if this is even half-correct.

NASA is a big organisation. Poor security in one part of it doesn't necessarily mean other sections of the company suffer the same problem. In big organisations it's normal to have widely varying levels of competence. The trick is to try and have good management structures in place to mitigate this.

In my experience of engineering organisations the provision of IT is not related to the standard of engineering performance. IT staff are drawn from a different skill pool from engineering and science personnel, and not any more likely to be particularly skilled than in any other business. It just looks worse when some IT drone messes up in an engineering-focused business because it's a "technical" subject. In reality most IT people I've encountered don't have a technical background at all (in the sense of scientific or engineering training).

Basically, you're just as likely to get an IT balls-up at somewhere like NASA as you are at any other big company or government department, because they all use the same people for their IT.

|{urse
March 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Eschew gratuitous obfuscation <-- If you mean code then +1

Machine and human readable helps.

So far as JPL getting hacked, I'm sure someone helped them in either knowingly or unknowingly. Most of those "hacks" are 99% social engineering, the weakest link.