PDA

View Full Version : is there an Android app for Ubuntu forums?

nutpants
March 2nd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Much like the title says.I have not found one..but it would be very nice is there was one that I missed in my search..

BeRoot ReBoot
March 2nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
It's called "browser", it comes with just about every android phone. There are also several alternatives available in the android market, personally I'm using Firefox.

nutpants
March 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
It's called "browser", it comes with just about every android phone. There are also several alternatives available in the android market, personally I'm using Firefox.

Yes but I was hoping the open source community built something like xda or IH8mud, tapatalk, or forum runner for the Ubuntu forums... Much like they built Linux to replace windows that comes with just about every desk top

I'm just not happy with the browser to do the job..

Merk42
March 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
It's called "browser", it comes with just about every android phone. There are also several alternatives available in the android market, personally I'm using Firefox.That's kind of a snotty response.

The forums, as they currently are*, are not optimed for the small screen of a phone. The click targets are very small and one shouldn't have to zoom in and out just to navigate the site.

*there may be a mobile optimized version of vbulletin if this site were upgraded to v4.

bornagainpenguin
March 5th, 2012, 10:11 PM

Not every phone is supported by Firefox, nor do people feel like having to resize every single page in the browser. Apps like Tapatalk make using forums on the phone a dream. If paying for it bothers you so much, there is a free version available at Getjar.

Geeze...

--bornagainpenguin

nutpants
March 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Not every phone is supported by Firefox, nor do people feel like having to resize every single page in the browser. Apps like Tapatalk make using forums on the phone a dream. If paying for it bothers you so much, there is a free version available at Getjar.

Geeze...

--bornagainpenguin

will talkatap work with ubuntu forums?

jediknight36
October 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM
will talkatap work with ubuntu forums?

Not yet it won't.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12287074#post12287074

Also, with the browser, the cursor can jump around the text box when replying. The Tapatalk plugins are needed and easy available. The mods have to talk to Tapatalk. That's what we mods at SCOA did. Another VBuliten site as well.

MG&TL
October 10th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I tried to make an application (for desktop, but android wouldn't have been too hard) for UF a while ago, using the (frankly rubbish) VBulletin API. Problem is, for some reason it's been disabled or is not working as expected. (ubuntuforums.org/api.php doesn't do much or doesn't exist)

If the API were to be enabled, I'd be happy to re-attempt it, and probably make a version for Android (but I'd need to learn Android first).

jediknight36
October 10th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I tried to make an application (for desktop, but android Isn't have been too hard) for UF a while ago, using the (frankly rubbish) VBulletin API. Problem is, for some reason it's been disabled or is not working as expected. (ubuntuforums.org/api.php doesn't do much or doesn't exist)

If the API were to be enabled, I'd be happy to re-attempt it, and probably make a version for Android (but I'd need to learn Android first).

The tool is already available. The plugins need to be installed from Tapatalk. Thats all.

MG&TL
October 10th, 2012, 04:23 PM
The tool is already available. The plugins need to be installed from Tapatalk. Thats all.

It would appear to be a proprietary application.

That's all I'm saying.

jediknight36
October 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM
It would appear to be a proprietary application.

That's all I'm saying.

Oh, I get ya. Just seems like reinventing the wheel is all. :-)

MG&TL
October 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Oh, I get ya. Just seems like reinventing the wheel is all. :-)

That's true. Well, hopefully a forum admin might please both of us. :)

DougieFresh4U
October 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I did see KUBUNTU on Tapatalk

Sableyes
October 14th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Would also love too see this happen! I do most of my browsing from a 4.5inch tablet phone thing. Best way too view Ubuntu Forums at the moment is in Opera, Single Column mode.

Elfy
October 14th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Closing this - same as the ones asking the same thing in FFH - over an over again.

When the forum has been upgraded - which is completely out of our control - then and only then will we look at addons for the forum.