PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow boot time

J Blain
March 1st, 2012, 05:24 PM
On my portable computer Alienware M11x running Ubuntu, any kernel version after 3.0.0.12 boots up in an appallingly slow fashion.

3.0.0.12 will boot at least 3 or 4 times faster then any of the newer kernel. Any idea what changed post 3.0.0.12 that would explain this ?

Newer kernels are of course nice but until I figure out why booting them is so slow it will be hard to switch. The newer kernels bring me back to the old windows days and that is no good...

dino99
March 1st, 2012, 05:54 PM
To let you know when/where it "freeze" while booting, remove "splash" by editing the boot line on grub menu. That way you get the verbose mode and will see warnings/errors explaining why its so slow.

Of course glance at xsession-errors inside /home & /var/log/ for the dmesg & kern.log

J Blain
March 2nd, 2012, 12:18 AM
To let you know when/where it "freeze" while booting, remove "splash" by editing the boot line on grub menu. That way you get the verbose mode and will see warnings/errors explaining why its so slow.

Of course glance at xsession-errors inside /home & /var/log/ for the dmesg & kern.log

It freezes on high speed usb device 4 for a very long time and then continues, this seems to be associated with my synaptic touchpad.

Any suggestions ?