PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu gets me mad

Johnny3
March 1st, 2012, 04:26 PM
I have been hearing about windows 8 beta coming out for months. But with Ubuntu beta coming out to day I can find it but there isn't even anything about it on Ubuntu main web page why not.
Thanks and God Bless Johnny3 65+++
PS plus 12.04 is more stable than any other Ubuntu I have tried at this stage of development. For me right now it's 95% stable maybe more.

Dngrsone
March 1st, 2012, 04:44 PM
I don't understand what your problem is.

Everyone who knows Ubuntu knows that 12.04 will be out in April. Those who are interested in testing the Beta probably already know that it comes out today (you do).

Microsoft has to advertise this kind of stuff so they can generate interest and begin spinning the hype up in the hope of selling lots of Windows 8 when it is actually issued.

Ubuntu doesn't advertise, they don't need hype, they aren't selling anything. You're comparing kiwis and grapefruits, here.

3rdalbum
March 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
Microsoft only releases a couple of snapshots, and Windows 8 is a massive difference to Win 7.

The current development Ubuntu can be downloaded at any time, and 12.04 is very similar to 11.10.

There were big news stories about Ubuntu for Android and HUD, did you miss them?

wolfen69
March 1st, 2012, 05:13 PM
But with Ubuntu beta coming out to day I can find it but there isn't even anything about it on Ubuntu main web page why not.

Because they don't want the average person downloading an unfinished product, then complaining that it's broken. Just because it's been stable for you, doesn't mean it will be for everyone. Patience padawan, it will be supported for 5 years. Let them work out the kinks first, before putting a huge DOWNLOAD HERE button out on the net.

QIII
March 1st, 2012, 05:23 PM
Microsoft does this beta testing like this. But it's just the first Beta. The second Beta is done when you find it on the retail shelf. Then the SPs start rolling out.

I used to test for MS. I have a bunch of MS certications on my wall. This is just the reality of how this happens.

In many respects I can't blame them. How could they possibly test to cover billions of users and millions of hardware setups?

philinux
March 1st, 2012, 05:38 PM
PS plus 12.04 is more stable than any other Ubuntu I have tried at this stage of development. For me right now it's 95% stable maybe more.

If your 12.04 install is up to date you have the beta. It's just a label for the daily build and just a snapshot.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

The ubuntu.com page will only show 12.04 on the 26th April.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule?action=show&redirect=PreciseReleaseSchedule

cprofitt
March 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM
There are several reasons:

Ubuntu (nor Canonical) has the money to engage in a marketing campaign every six months to announce a beta vs. Microsoft having enough money to have Seinfeld talk to Gates about Churros
Ubuntu releases a new beta every six months vs. Microsoft taking between 3-5 years to release a new OS
Ubuntu does not employee journalism for hire to write, ahem, news stories about its releases

I think it would be nice to have a 'big announcement' about Ubuntu version xx.xx, but I do not think that will happen until Ubuntu has an OEM of significant size to warrant a product announcement.