PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation on Android

hoboy
March 1st, 2012, 10:57 AM
I am not sure if this is the right place.
But I am curious looking at this link
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android
How do I install ubuntu on Android ?
and witch ubuntu version ?
and were to to download it ?

arubislander
March 1st, 2012, 11:24 AM
As I understand it (but my understanding may be faulty) It is more of a dual booting solution. Ubuntu does not seem to be available under normal phone operation. When the phone is docked, it reboots into Ubuntu, and Android is not available in docked mode. The underlying data is accessible to both operating systems.

hoboy
March 1st, 2012, 11:44 AM
As I understand it (but my understanding may be faulty) It is more of a dual booting solution. Ubuntu does not seem to be available under normal phone operation. When the phone is docked, it reboots into Ubuntu, and Android is not available in docked mode. The underlying data is accessible to both operating systems.

ok, so one does not need to install ubuntu on the android phone ?

ottosykora
March 1st, 2012, 01:48 PM
I was also quite confused as what does it do etc, the explanation is very 'popular scientific' , nothing really explained.

But as far as I do it understand now, it is kind of additional program, making it possible to run normal ubuntu on your computer and have data of the phone available 1:1 in it when the phone is docked. Kind of integrate the phone data into the ubuntu desktop and not running a full ubuntu on the phone.

However as I said, nowhere any understandable explantion is given, just kind of big blow advertising.

hoboy
March 1st, 2012, 03:28 PM
I was also quite confused as what does it do etc, the explanation is very 'popular scientific' , nothing really explained.

But as far as I do it understand now, it is kind of additional program, making it possible to run normal ubuntu on your computer and have data of the phone available 1:1 in it when the phone is docked. Kind of integrate the phone data into the ubuntu desktop and not running a full ubuntu on the phone.

However as I said, nowhere any understandable explantion is given, just kind of big blow advertising.
Well ubuntu already run on my computer... and additional program ???
ok so no ubuntu os is installed on Android ??????
I haven't still got this.

ottosykora
March 1st, 2012, 04:20 PM
well neither did I get it completely, but I understand it as kind of communicating system between the real android os and the ubuntu os, kind of merging them together when connected (docked).

While it is not a complete ubuntu running on the phone, it is running parallel with the normal android apparently and communicating with the normal desktop ubuntu so data are accessible as if they were in the desktop ubuntu.

There are ways to run subsystem or even two complete operating systems on one hardware without dual boot or virtual machine env.
Examples colinux or do not recall how they call that w7 running same time as macos.

I think here it is more like some kind of driver or so. Is that what some people call middleware?

Hope soon some guru will tell us more then just big colorful video performance.

Mark Phelps
March 1st, 2012, 05:47 PM
Perhaps you folks missed this part:

It’s the must-have feature for late-2012 high-end Android phones.

It's only EARLY 2012 -- thus the phones this is designed to support haven't even been built yet!

Also, from what I read, it's only a DESKTOP -- similar to running a different desktop on Ubuntu 11.10 than Unity. It's NOT an installation of the Ubuntu distro to the Android phone.

ottosykora
March 1st, 2012, 07:30 PM
OK Mark, yes you are very right here.
They talk about things which do not exist this way yet.

What we were just curious if this involves a software to be installed on ubuntu desktop, or some software which needs to be installed on the android os, or both or what is that all made of.

Those things are not explained at all.

And yes, thay mention dual core phones, ok, my one is not part of that game anyway. I have dual core notebook! :-))

hoboy
March 1st, 2012, 10:20 PM
OK Mark, yes you are very right here.
They talk about things which do not exist this way yet.

What we were just curious if this involves a software to be installed on ubuntu desktop, or some software which needs to be installed on the android os, or both or what is that all made of.

Those things are not explained at all.

And yes, thay mention dual core phones, ok, my one is not part of that game anyway. I have dual core notebook! :-))

Yep-precisely this is the question I was asking.

aimwin
July 15th, 2012, 03:36 PM
from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_for_Android

Katherine Noyes, writing for PC World, noted "As a longtime Ubuntu fan, I have to admit I'm especially excited by the prospect of having my Ubuntu desktop available on my phone, wherever I go."...........

Cameron Summerson, writing for Android Police, noted "Imagine carrying a full desktop computer in your pocket [...] Ubuntu for Android is something that we've only dreamed about up to this point - one device to rule them all, if you will."[12]
................[3]

To my understanding.

We will have Android mobile phone
WITH IN THE PHONE IS an Ubuntu Computer Desktop when you have access to a monitor and a mouse-keyboard.

So "Not ONLY" we don't have to cary USB-Ubuntu-Desktop any longer,
We will leave the note book at home too.

Since we will be carying Android Mobile Phone which is ALSO "Ubuntu-Mobile Desktop".

So when we go to the internet cafe,
we will be renting a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse, not a computer any longer,
and you will be sitting on your computer as in your office or home,
safely checking your emails and using applications.

In the future you don't buy Desktop or Notebook any longer,

all you have to buy is "UBUNTU-ADROID Mobile phone",
or a real "UBUNTU-MOBILE PHONE",
with 200 GB internal SSD memory

I think the picture and messages in
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android
is very clear now.

The development team, please confirm.

nikonian
July 15th, 2012, 04:10 PM
More ambiguous marketing; lovely.