PDA

View Full Version : Have you modded your Android phone?

wolfen69
March 1st, 2012, 02:50 AM
Although I was pretty happy with the stock configuration, the tinkerer inside of me had to let loose and mod my Samsung Infuse 4G (4.5" screen, Super AMOLED). With no help from others, (directly) it took me several hours to figure everything out. I even semi-bricked it at one point, but recovering it wasn't too difficult.

My phone originally came with Android 2.2.1 and was promised to be updated to 2.3.6 sometime over the last 9 months. But it seems like that is not going to happen. So I took matters into my own hands and made it happen. I'm so glad I did. Now I have a 2.3.6 custom ROM that seems a bit more responsive with less bloat. Plus the extra features are a nice touch. Btw, I'm running the Zeus ROM.

Anyone else here doing any modding?

pete04
March 1st, 2012, 02:58 AM
Also have a Samsung, a Captivate, that was promised gingerbread for months and months (ironically, the official build was released like two weeks ago). Lost patience and put CM7 on it last November. Love it. Have a Nook Color running CM7, too. I also soft bricked the phone and was in a semi panic, dreaming up ways I could try to pawn it off as a hardware failure to the ATT people to get a new phone. Calmed down and found one-click unbrick. Worked like magic.

The whole process with the heimdall suite is remarkably easy, though it is a bit harrowing when you realize that if you do brick the phone, you're in a heap of trouble. The reward is worth it, though. It makes the phone so much better.

UnknownFearNG
March 1st, 2012, 03:21 AM
I did install a 4.0.3 ROM on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and it was pretty good :) Only downfall was some apps didn't work cause they weren't compatible with 4.0.3 so I had to downgrade back to 4.0.1 stock.

I'd love to try CyangonMod 9 one day when all apps will be supported :P

wolfen69
March 1st, 2012, 04:58 PM
I did install a 4.0.3 ROM on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and it was pretty good :) Only downfall was some apps didn't work cause they weren't compatible with 4.0.3 so I had to downgrade back to 4.0.1 stock.

I'd love to try CyangonMod 9 one day when all apps will be supported :P

Was there really that much difference between 4.0.3 and 4.0.1?

bvanaerde
March 1st, 2012, 05:25 PM
Installed CM7 for my Motorola Defy+
http://www.defy-cm.net/defy_plus-cm7-nightly/

I'm quite happy with it, but tempted to try CM9 :)

TeoBigusGeekus
March 1st, 2012, 05:53 PM
HTC Desire owner here.
Started with MIUI, went to CM7, then to Oxygen and now back to CM7.

nutpants
March 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Rooted sgs2 i9100 for security and ad removal. Might try a Ubuntu install on it some day soon.

mamamia88
March 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM
HTC Desire owner here.
Started with MIUI, went to CM7, then to Oxygen and now back to CM7.

I have the inspire 4g and am running a alpha ice cream sandwhich rom and am loving it

TeoBigusGeekus
March 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
I'd still use oxygen if I could (best battery friendly rom I've used) but unfortunately I got the black screen during unlocking bug and gave it up.

QIII
March 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM
There are times when my plans for modding my HTC Evo go along these lines:

Put Evo on garage floor.

Walk motorcycle backwards until rear wheel is on Evo.

Drop to first, hold front brake, goose throttle.

Let clutch out.

aysiu
March 1st, 2012, 08:44 PM
Unlocked and rooted Galaxy Nexus with leaked 4.0.4 update.

false truths
March 1st, 2012, 10:02 PM
Got a custom ROM on my Epic 4g Touch (GS2) that uses the leaked ICS update with some mods to the phone/ROM for an HD display and more powerful 4g (works inside buildings, which is rare for Sprint).

I've considered contributing to the CM9 development for my phone, but I'm far from being an advanced enough developer to work on it at the pace that the current developer does.

odiseo77
March 1st, 2012, 11:45 PM
Not a phone, but I have a tablet which I'm considering installing Android 4.0 on, since it seems to be stuck at 2.3.1. Not sure if this is possible, though; will have to do some research (I'm a bit scared to do it, in case it's possible).

IWantFroyo
March 2nd, 2012, 02:12 AM
Had an HTC Aria.

After HTC kept me hanging for my promised Froyo update (see username), they just gave up and didn't release it at all.

This is when I started my CM dabbles.

Still happy with it, although an HP Veer is my current main cellphone. I seem to have a liking for small screens. ;)

matbluvenger
March 2nd, 2012, 02:21 AM
I have a Samsung Continuum (part of the Galaxy series.)

Definitely rooted this guy. I originally got it so I could finally update my Android OS because they stopped update support for my phone. Luckily the developers are awesome and release the OS and instructions on how to install it.

I was really scared to root it at first but it was cake after that. And now I'm reaping the many benefits.

Now it's time to get more comfortable with Python so I can make apps for myself :D

aysiu
March 2nd, 2012, 02:24 AM
Oh, also rooted my Nook Simple Touch.

matbluvenger
March 2nd, 2012, 02:28 AM
Sadly the only Kindle Fire in the house belongs to the lady... she'd be pissed if I messed it :D

kevdog
March 2nd, 2012, 02:33 AM
I've been rooting for awhile beginning with the OG (which was retired last christmas).

Currently running 4.0.2 stock (had AOKP 4.0.3 however the bluetooth wasn't working on the ROM).

Xoom - Running wingray by teameos.

Just my personal opinion, and its not meant to offend anyone, but if your going to buy and Android phone, its very silly to buy anything else but a Nexus. Most other phones never get updated and if they do, its only for one to two iterations. Nexus developers phones get a lot of love and attention.

wolfen69
March 2nd, 2012, 04:25 AM
My next phone will probably be a Galaxy Note. By the time I buy it (when the price goes down) there should be some great ICS roms out there for it. The guys over at xda-developers are awesome like that.

Isn't the HP Veer the smallest smartphone? (shudders) I could never imagine going back to a small phone. The bigger the better I say. Heck, I would love a 6" phone if they made one. But I guess at that point, it's basically a tablet that makes phone calls. Just get a holster for it and use bluetooth. ;)

Mikeb85
March 2nd, 2012, 07:04 AM
I have an HTC Amaze that I simply have running stock (Android 2.3.4, Sense 3.0). I'm happy with the way it works, no plans to modify it at all.

Rasa1111
March 2nd, 2012, 07:11 AM
Rooted :)

sharathpaps
March 2nd, 2012, 11:46 AM
I have a Samsung Galaxy SII I9000 and have been waiting for the ICS update from Samsung but it doesn't seem to be available yet. Can you please point me to a place where I can download the stock (preferably) or custom ICS ROM for my phone?

Thanks.

wipeout140
March 2nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Advent Vega running a custom 4.0.3 ROM from Tablet Roms (http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/3817-%5Brom%5D-vegaics-beta1.html)
HTC Nexus One running Cyanogenmod 7.1

Also use to have a HTC Magic which run Cyanogenmod 6.1

wolfen69
March 2nd, 2012, 07:45 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy SII I9000 and have been waiting for the ICS update from Samsung but it doesn't seem to be available yet. Can you please point me to a place where I can download the stock (preferably) or custom ICS ROM for my phone?

Thanks.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=656

gutterslob
March 3rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Galaxy Nexus: Rooted, CyanogenMod 9 (Maguro - Nightly)

pinguinhood
March 3rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
I did it on my old Htc Magic when they said it would be no more upgraded. Next, I find the custom Android 4.0.2 just fine on new Galaxy Nexus for the moment.

zer010
March 3rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
Rooted Samsung Transform Ultra, but am thinking of physically modding it to support an external antenna.
As it stands now, the ext antenna port is directly under the battery. If I can find a little empty space in the shell, I figure I could install an accessible jack along the edge of the shell somewhere.

sharathpaps
March 3rd, 2012, 07:31 PM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=656

Thanks wolfen69

Spr0k3t
March 3rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
I won't purchase a phone unless I can root it, rom it, mod it, and clear of any potential fruit based operating systems. If a phone I own makes it to 24 hours in its stock form... then it hasn't touched my hands yet. If you are considering purchasing a new phone, ask to make sure the bootloader is already unlocked.

Guitar John
March 3rd, 2012, 11:01 PM
I just got 2 new Razr Maxx's for my wife and I. I'll probably dive in eventually, but right now I just want to get comfortable wife the OS itself.

I'll live with the bloat for now. There's plenty of room on the micro card.

Lightbeam7
March 4th, 2012, 01:10 AM
My phone's usb port broke, but it's in the plans when I find a trustworthy tinkerer. I lubs the Nexus One. We need a mobile Ubuntu OS. I'd move more quickly to get this fixed if there were one.

matbluvenger
March 4th, 2012, 06:37 PM
My phone's usb port broke, but it's in the plans when I find a trustworthy tinkerer. I lubs the Nexus One. We need a mobile Ubuntu OS. I'd move more quickly to get this fixed if there were one.

How do you charge it?

TeoBigusGeekus
March 6th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Switched to oxygen again; feels good man...

wolfen69
March 6th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I also have a Samsung Epic 4G that's not activated as a phone, but just use it as media player. I just put android 4.0.3 on it, and it's pretty good and fast, for such an "old" smartphone.

blu_zee
March 18th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I just picked up an LG Optimus one. Only smart phone available for a prepaid account from my phone company. LG has an upgrade for it to 2.3 but they only support windows users. Google search answers to loading firmware all start with "first install the windows USB driver" or "how do I unbrick my phone after windows crashed" during the upgrade. Can't track down any tutorials for Linux users. Any one have any links to HOWTO load firmware upgrades from Linux? I don't understand why they don't just let you copy the firmware to the SD card and have an app on the phone to upgrade the software. You would think that would be a lot safer than using windows to load firmware.

wolfen69
March 19th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I just went back to stock config after I realized none of the roms available would work perfectly for me. Oh well.

wolfen69
March 19th, 2012, 02:19 AM
I just picked up an LG Optimus one. Only smart phone available for a prepaid account from my phone company. LG has an upgrade for it to 2.3 but they only support windows users. Google search answers to loading firmware all start with "first install the windows USB driver" or "how do I unbrick my phone after windows crashed" during the upgrade. Can't track down any tutorials for Linux users. Any one have any links to HOWTO load firmware upgrades from Linux? I don't understand why they don't just let you copy the firmware to the SD card and have an app on the phone to upgrade the software. You would think that would be a lot safer than using windows to load firmware.
Find someone with a windows machine or use virtualbox.

kevdog
March 19th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I just went back to stock config after I realized none of the roms available would work perfectly for me. Oh well.

What issues were you having? Custom ROMs are a double edge sword. They provide a lot of new features in exchange for stability. I used to run a lot of custom roms, however lately have just become satisfied with running a stock rom. I never found overclocking with a custom kernel to really ever change the user experience for me all that much.

TeoBigusGeekus
March 19th, 2012, 04:46 PM
...and I'm back to miui.
This black screen of death bug in both cm7 and oxygen is very annoying...

Uncle Spellbinder
March 19th, 2012, 06:08 PM
The only thing about my Android phone that is modded is that it's rooted. Other than that, I've not pursued any actual mods.

Rasa1111
March 21st, 2012, 02:21 AM
http://i.minus.com/ibsx2BJcmULykT.png

mr-woof
September 14th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Sorry to drag this thread back up, I've got a sensation xe, should I put cyanogenmod 9 on it? What benefits will I see?

ads2996
September 14th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I have the HTC Desire/Bravo. I have rooted mine and s-offed. I am considering either the dgb aosp rom to increase my available internal memory. Another rom im considering is Sandvold's rom which at the moment is Ice Cream Sandwich and he is currently porting Jelly Bean, Which i look forward to.

I have considered Hardware mods. One of which is taking the charging coil out of a Palm Pixi back cover. Then soldering copper foil to the 5v connector and then sticking the coil to the back cover which will connect to the logic board by the copper foil touching. Then i can wireless charge it with a palm smartphone charger.

DanFoxDavies
September 15th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab (the version which also has a SIM and phone functions, from early last year, the P1000) and have Kang's modded OS running on it at the moment (ICS). I keep it in a brutally-cut-down faux-leather case that I bought with it, which is now just being used to hold the USB lead and a lanyard as a strap in place on the tab, which is then in turn inside a zip-up polyester case/bag/thing, onto the outside of which I have stuck loads of velcro to hold two small solar chargers, one feeds into the other which then connects to the phone's USB lead, which then curls into the cases and loops round them such that it won't get loose too easily. Solar battery life extender, in short, along with lots of protective padding that has had it survive several falls onto hard surfaces. :-)

effenberg0x0
September 15th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I'm on the third Android now (Galaxy S2), currently deciding if I should go for a Galaxy S3 or a Galaxy Note 2. I have tried Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" and couldn't adapt: too big to carry around.

I have modded all of them and will probably mod the upcoming ones. Defaults are OK but there's too much to play with and I can't avoid it.

I'll at least root the next one, try some roms/kernel, partition the sdcard the way I like it, change the cpu governors, etc). My first one (Motorola Milestone) was the one I had more fun with - bricked it a number of times when I was learning. That was the only one I physically modded (cracked the thing open to try an antenna mod). Androids are fun.

Regards,
Effenberg

effenberg0x0
September 15th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Sorry to drag this thread back up, I've got a sensation xe, should I put cyanogenmod 9 on it? What benefits will I see?

I'm not sure about your model but, on the Galaxy S2, there's some slight increase in battery usage using default options. I have also experienced some weirdness in WiFi/3G/GSM: Sometimes, after switching WiFi or 3G off and then back on, the mobile sees 0% cellular signal, can't make or receive a call until I reboot or activate/deactivate airplane mode. I think this bug is already reported.

Cyanogenmode9 feels more snappy for me when switching home screens, launching and alternating between apps, as well as scrolling contacts. That's the main benefits I see but there are many other features.

Regards,
Effenberg

lisati
September 15th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I've only just purchased a Huawei Ideos x1, a.k.a. U8180. I don't think Mrs Lisati would be too impressed if I managed to brick it by incautious playing around..... Only addition is a 2Gb card & SIM transferred from another phone.

mr-woof
September 15th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the information guys, I think I'll give it a go and see how I get on. Surely it can't be that difficult to root your phone and then install a custom rom?

Statia
September 15th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I have a Nexus One and a Galaxy Nexus (and might get the Nexus 7). This means I already have Jelly Bean on the GN and no extra **** by telecoms provider or phone manufacturer. So, no reason to do any modding. I might root the Nexus One some time, but since I hardly use it, I don't have a pressing urge to do so.

adjbck
September 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I have an s2 which was rooted, cm10, themed etc but out of the blue it crashed. I sent it to samsung to fix (faulty motherboard) and they said they would charge me £150, when i asked them to return it as the price was preposterours i recieved it fixed :D

So now im running stock, apex with custom icons until the next nexus comes out when ill pick up the galaxy nexus (im only a student, we need to save money any way we know how)