PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] I know why KDE freezes for 5 minutes after login

jandac2011
March 1st, 2012, 01:48 AM
Kubuntu 11.10 amd64 on Intel Core i3 freezes for 5 minutes after login. htop doesn't show any peculiar activity. Finally, I thought about lsof (list open files). The process plasma-desktop is reading my photos. Why?

I used to wait 5 minutes for digikam to start. It is a bug in Kubuntu on amd64 at least from 10.10. It makes no difference whether I check "Scan for new items on startup" or not. It disappeared just when KDE started to freeze after login.

jandac2011
March 1st, 2012, 09:01 PM
Kubuntu 11.10 amd64 on Intel Core i3 freezes for 5 minutes after login. htop doesn't show any peculiar activity. Finally, I thought about lsof (list open files). The process plasma-desktop is reading my photos. Why?

I used to wait 5 minutes for digikam to start. It is a bug in Kubuntu on amd64 at least from 10.10. It makes no difference whether I check "Scan for new items on startup" or not. It disappeared just when KDE started to freeze after login.

My post was edited by someone else. He/she removed the part that contained possible explanation for the freezing. It was not "trolling". If that person has a reason to believe that the process responsible for freezing my desktop is not nepomuk/akonadi/virtuoso in disguise, he/she may write so. Removal of my explanation leaves other people in the same situation searching for clues in vain.