PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with mouse drag in Ubuntu 11.10

jcobban
February 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
The window manager in Ubuntu 11.10 is trying to be helpful but is creating a couple of annoying little characteristics when dragging the mouse. They arise because the movement of the selected object drags behind the motion of the mouse.

For example I want to move a window, so I grab the top of the frame and drag it toward the target position. But the movement of the window falls behind the mouse movement and the mouse slips into the top menu bar. Ubuntu then helpfully expands the window to occupy the whole screen. I have to unmaximize the window and start the drag over again.

That is just mildly annoying. The other problem occurs with the enhanced graphic viewer I installed so I could view JPEGs at sizes other than "fits" and 100%. This viewer is not well integrated with the GUI because it does not support scroll bars, probably because they took up so much real-estate in the previous Gnome implementation. I can perform a vertical scroll using the page up and page down keys or the mouse wheel, but the only way I can perform a horizontal scroll is to grab the image and drag it sideways. Again there is the problem that the image move falls behind the cursor movement. In this case the cursor slips into the next window on the screen, in Firefox, and Ubuntu decides I want to "replace" the page currently displayed in that window with the page I have dragged. In my case, however, the replaced page is a transcription of text from the image page, so all of my work is wiped out, and I have to restart the transcription.

I really don't see any way to improve this, except hoping that the author of the enhanced image viewer puts scroll bars back in.