PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Cannot get any output from JACK

spearlymatt
February 28th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Good afternoon everyone,

I've been experimenting with Ubuntu on various computers for about five years now, though I don't have a very technical understanding. I have one computer I built running Ubuntu 11.04 and Vista, and a laptop running only 11.04. Both have the studio packages on them (my first question is does 11.10 allow you to use any form of GNOME from a fresh install? Anywhere I read online is just about installing GNOME shell. I'm not a purist, I just tried Unity and found it very frustrating).

A year or two ago (maybe on Ubuntu 9.10?) I had my Akai LPK25 patched through my desktop, through JACK, Qsynth, Ardour, and various effects programs with it all working beautifully. I neglected it for awhile, and came back to find some error messages, and things weren't really working at all. I then took the opportunity to upgrade to 11.04 (just a few days ago, and removed then installed the studio packages. I start JACK, start QSynth, connect my keyboard to FluidSynth in the ALSA tab (as I always did before), and connect Qsynth to my output. The light shows up on QSynth when I strike a key, but no sound. The same goes for my laptop. On my laptop I just connected the mic inputs to the system output and got crazy feedback, so I can get (some form of) sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've probably just made a stupid mistake, or overlooked something along the way. If I remember when I first set it up, it was mostly guess work on my part. I also just burned an install DVD of Ubuntu Studio 11.04, if you think a fresh install would fix the issues.

P.S. Pandora won't load on my desktop's Firefox, but it will on my phone and laptop. I've uninstalled/reinstalled firefox, and manually reinstalled Adobe (I believe a solution offered on here). Still nothing. It just loads with the little circle, until it times out. Any help would also be appreciated on that problem.

sgx
March 1st, 2012, 03:13 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qjackctl

links 4 and 8 at the wiki have screenshots and details that
should help set up jackd and qjackctl. The commands below
show some of how linux kernel
IDs your soundcard. In my case, snd_ice1712 is the kernel module
used for the soundchip on the maudio card, yours will be
a bit different

bash-4.1$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [M2496 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96
M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at 0xac00, irq 17
bash-4.1$ cat /proc/asound/devices
1: : sequencer
2: [ 0- 0]: raw midi
3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
5: [ 0] : control
33: : timer

bash-4.1$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
bash-4.1$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Cheers

spearlymatt
March 1st, 2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. I followed the guide, and that caused my JACK to fail, saying overall system failed, server connection issues, etc. On my laptop, that is.