PDA

View Full Version : What kind of internet connection you have ..?

asifnaz
February 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I am just curious what kind of connections users of Ubuntu forums have :

Wired DSL
Dial Up
Wireless ETC (or any other )

What is you speed

for example how much time it takes to download a 700 MB iso from Ubuntu.com

Does it has a data-cap ,if yes how much

Lucradia
February 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I have cable, we already have a speedtest thread. Charter Communications here doesn't have a data cap that I'm aware of. I've torrented over 4 GB worth in a week, never got throttled.

asifnaz
February 28th, 2012, 07:44 PM
. I've torrented over 4 GB worth in a week, never got throttled.

4 Gb is not that much

collisionystm
February 28th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I have a 5GB coax connection. Not uncommon for me to see speeds up to 1.5 mbps when downloading. My ISP finally changed over to new equipment. It used to be no more than 600Kbps.

It seems that Ubuntu downloads are capped at 400kbps because I can never achieve any higher.

I Used to be able too...

Lucradia
February 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM
It seems that Ubuntu downloads are capped at 400kbps because I can never achieve any higher.

I can torrent up to 3 MBps sometimes, dependent on who's in the seeds.

collisionystm
February 28th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I can torrent up to 3 MBps sometimes, dependent on who's in the seeds.

Torrent is different...

I am talking direct download either by apt-get or from the ubuntu site itself grabbing an image.

Torrents are only limited by the # of seeders and the bandwidth you have

Lucradia
February 28th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Torrent is different...

I am talking direct download either by apt-get or from the ubuntu site itself grabbing an image.

Torrents are only limited by the # of seeders and the bandwidth you have

That's the problem then. I haven't been able to get more than 500 kbps from ubuntu.com downloading the iso or anything from apt-get for quite some time.

collisionystm
February 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM
That's the problem then. I haven't been able to get more than 500 kbps from ubuntu.com downloading the iso or anything from apt-get for quite some time.

Yup... they capped it about 6 months ago I reckon.

I used to be able to get whatever I wanted... I guess its to help solve the high traffic issues Ubuntu would experience during major releases / updates.

lisati
February 28th, 2012, 08:05 PM
ADSL2, but with the horrible phone wiring in our place, the speeds aren't as good as they should be. At least we're getting better than dial-up.

Lee_Bo
February 28th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Cable here. Supposed to be 20 meg down and 2 meg up......more like 2 meg down and 256k up. Gotta love Charter.

Dragonbite
February 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I am just curious what kind of connections users of Ubuntu forums have :

Wired DSL
Dial Up
Wireless ETC (or any other )

What is you speed

DSL basic, it takes 2-3 hours to download a CD and 15 hours to download a 4GB DVD.

There is no cap, and even if there was I don't know how often I would hit it ;) When you look at DSL offerings, it is the basic of the basic, the "below normal charts" level in speed (758 kbps? the lowest on the chart is 1.5 MBps?)

Yeah, it's annoying.

juancarlospaco
February 28th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Ive never loosed a ping, but it depends a lot on the weather
... and the Pidgeon

DeathShot
February 28th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I got cable. It's supposed to be 25mbits download but it's not uncommon for me to get over 32. I have torrented at over 4MB/s. I generally torrent everything I can so I almost never DD my operating systems but if I do it takes like 15 minutes tops?

MisterGaribaldi
February 29th, 2012, 03:27 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1803262657.png

pme 72
March 4th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Basic DSL, a 700 MiB ISO has usually taken just over an hour.

" Grade F+, slower than 83% of US"

Download: 1.54 Mb/s, Upload: 0.38 Mb/s, Ping: 48 ms

3/4/2012 4:30 AM GMT

jailbait
March 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM
2 Bonded T1s
Results from speedtest not accurate due to the fact that a lot of it is always in use.

No Data Cap.

Apparently, I have faster internet than the Ubuntu Download servers. Once I hit about 10MB/s, it doesn't go any higher even if I have the bandwidth. It could be Level(3), Hurricane Electric, Cogent, or Abovenet thats messing with me (since I buy from a telco who can provide multihomed bandwidth), but I doubt it.

Paqman
March 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Technically I have an ADSL line, but I suspect in reality there's a line of ants that carry the packets into my house on their backs. I'm a long way from the exchange so there's a lot of copper between me and the lolcats. Roll on FTTC, due here later this year.

winh8r
March 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Here in the UK, I have an ADSL connection which ran for 6 years at 1.1Mbps, then they upgraded the equipment in the exchange and now have around 3Mbps.
Downside is that now I have a 40GB monthly usage allowance.Whereas before it was unlimited.

Biggest problem we face here in the UK is the lack of investment in the telecommunications infrastructure. If you live in or near a big town or city then it is not too bad, but if like me you live in a rural area then you just have to take what you are given.

Quite a few friends have gone over to satellite broadband which seems to be a better prospect if you live any more than about two miles from the exchange.

As for wireless coverage in rural areas, it is a bit like trying to find a lump of coal in a darkened room most of the time!

PaulW2U
March 4th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Not always as fast as shown below but it depends on the time of day.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1812581751.png

Virgin Media cable connection, very reliable 99% of the time.

MisterGaribaldi
March 4th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Here in the UK, I have an ADSL connection which ran for 6 years at 1.1Mbps, then they upgraded the equipment in the exchange and now have around 3Mbps.
Downside is that now I have a 40GB monthly usage allowance.Whereas before it was unlimited.

Biggest problem we face here in the UK is the lack of investment in the telecommunications infrastructure. If you live in or near a big town or city then it is not too bad, but if like me you live in a rural area then you just have to take what you are given.

Quite a few friends have gone over to satellite broadband which seems to be a better prospect if you live any more than about two miles from the exchange.

As for wireless coverage in rural areas, it is a bit like trying to find a lump of coal in a darkened room most of the time!

From what I understand, the U.S. communications grid is kind of like this "patchwork quilt" and, while probably better on the whole, is not unlike the U.K. I know some people who are still stuck with dial-up. One of my friends, who has a place in Georgia, has dial-up while four of his neighbors (the closest people who live to him with bounding properties) all have DSL.

Every time I think about how it "sucks" to only have 12MB cable Internet instead of something like, say, Verizon's FIOS, I think about him and I quit complaining.

OTOH, there are no caps, so I really can't complain.

You folks in the U.K. should all just pack up and move over here. Leave the Queen and Parliament, and also the U.K. telco companies to make of that all what they will. ;)

ikt
March 4th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Wired DSL

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/adsl_broadband/easy_broadband/

Easy Broadband 200 (no longer sold)

What is you speed

3.3mbit (330KB/s) as I'm 4.5-5KM from the exchange.

According to this:

http://download.stormloader.com/

Around 28 minutes.

But my ISP has an ubuntu mirror here: http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/

So I download it unmetered and full speed. :)

200GB's.

A screenshot of me giving the line a good beating:

http://ikt.id.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/uptimeok.png

mips
March 4th, 2012, 05:03 PM
384kb/s.

700MB download takes about 4 hours.

synaptix
March 4th, 2012, 06:12 PM
15Mbps download, 2Mbps upload.

Fiber optic, no bandwidth cap.

mips
March 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM
15Mbps download, 2Mbps upload.

Fiber optic, no bandwidth cap.

I hate you!

synaptix
March 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I hate you!

My friend has 50Mbps down/50Mbps up with Verizon FiOS. We can both be jealous. :p

mips
March 4th, 2012, 06:40 PM
My friend has 50Mbps down/50Mbps up with Verizon FiOS. We can both be jealous. :p

Yeah, I hate him even more :biggrin: