PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Storage Information

Dragonbite
February 28th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I am in the research phase for a possible presentation on Cloud Drives and Cloud Storage. Primarily I am looking for file storage services, and not backup services like Crashplan, Mozy or Carbonite.

I know there are many, many storage services out there, like Dropbox, SkyDrive, SpiderOak, UbuntuOne, SugarSync, Wuala, iCloud etc. but I would like to hear what services you:
Know of and heard positive or negative things
Use yourself or have experience with (even through work, friends, etc.)
Like and why (pro's AND con's)

Some of these do not work with Linux (e.g. SkyDrive and SugarSync), and some of these work with Smartphones (iOS and Android). I want to hear about them because my audience uses Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iPhone/iPad (and one Windows 7 Phone user).

Unfortunately I do not have an Android or iOS so I don't know anything about how Cloud drives work with these devices.

So any advice, experiences or knowledge you can pass along would be great!

tededet
March 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
I have experience only with two cloud storage services you mentioned (both on linux)- Dropbox and Spideroak.

From my experience Dropbox advantages are:
1. Faster sync in general
2. Supports LAN sync (making sync on same subnets even faster)
3. Very easy to setup and use. Suitable for non technical users (my parents etc.)

Spideroak advantages:
1. More features, customizable sync.
2. Significantly more free space (6GB vs Dropbox 2GB)
3. Service compresses your data (Dropbox doesn't), so you use available cloud storage space even more efficiently.
4. Paid plans 2 times cheaper (10$/100GB vs Dropbox 20$/100 GB).

Also regarding free space- both services advertise only 2 GB of free space but on Spideroak via promotion programs anyone can get 6 GB if they follow certain steps while registering. If you are interested to read more about this please see my post here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11712350&postcount=22