PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How can I configure mid mouse button as Window key?

ayozito
February 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hi!

As title said, how can I configure the central button of my mouse for use it for show the activity menu?

Looking at options only inside keyboard menu I see for modify the shortcut alt+f1, but can't use mouse button there.

Is possible to do this? I work most of the time with mouse so I haven't my hands at keyboard for press SUPER and in a 24' screen move all the time to the top left is a bit annoying.

evilsoup
February 28th, 2012, 04:56 PM
There's probably an easier way to do this, but what I'd do is install easystroke (it's in the repositories). Very useful program overall, you might want to play around with it (I have a mouse-gesture to launch firefox, for example..).

Once you have that installed, launch the program and go to the 'preferences' tab. Set your 'gesture button' to the middle-click of your mouse (it's pretty straightforward, but I can provide screenshots if you really need them).

Go to the 'Actions' tab and click the 'Add Action' button. You can either set it as a command (the default), and then put in whatever the command is to launch the activity menu; OR you can set it as a key, and then set it to respond to alt+f1... and from there you can set middle-click to do the keystroke/summon the command. Like I said, easystroke is a very well-designed and easy-to-use program. I'm sure you'll get it down easily.

(Though I would like to note that, if you are using the mouse a lot, then doing this will rob you of the middle-click-paste which a lot of people find very useful... I'd suggest experimenting with easystroke's mouse-gestures..).

ayozito
February 29th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Really after open this topic, I was thinking about this and it is kinda unuseful xD

When I opened this topic I was working with some windows, swaping from one to other all the time, thats why I thought this would be useful. But if I do this, then when I am at Chrome for example I can't use mid click for open link in new tab.

Summarizing, I will lose more than what I will win, and for use Easystroke I think is faster move the arrow to the top left than make a gesture.

stinkeye
February 29th, 2012, 02:13 PM
You can set the easystroke command to only initiate on a long button press.
This enables paste or open link middle clicks to still work.
See HERE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10495426&postcount=11) but when recording the mouse button, hold down for a few secs so as to register a sustained click.
May want to invest in a mouse with extra side buttons.
I prefer to mainly use the mouse and have the extra buttons assigned
to the shortcut keys for compiz scale and workspace switcher.

ayozito
March 1st, 2012, 02:38 PM
Did it!