PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu Alternate CD install & meta-Xfce package: How to decide which packages?

mikodo
February 28th, 2012, 08:53 AM
When installing Xubuntu, using the Alternate CD Install, with the Meta-package for the Xfce Lightweight Desktop Environmen (http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/xfce4)t, does the installer ask, which of the depends, recommended and suggests, one wishes to install?

If so, I have a lot of reading, to figure out which ones, I will want, to install!

Thanks.

Krytarik
February 28th, 2012, 09:20 AM
When installing Xubuntu, using the Alternate CD Install ...
Step 1 - from the CD; no selection of packages possible.

... with the Meta-package for the Xfce Lightweight Desktop Environmen (http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/xfce4)t, does the installer ask, which of the depends, recommended and suggests, one wishes to install?
Step 2 - from the CLI of the already (half) installed system; "apt-get" will automatically install 'recommends', but not 'suggests' - by default; this can be tweaked:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/en/man8/apt-get.8.html

Regards.

mikodo
February 28th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Hi Krytarik,

Thanks for responding again. So, I will have to read through which of the suggests, I might want, and then tweak, as you say.

Like:

--install-suggests etc....

I have been taught to use aptitude and not apt-get, but will not use aptitude, after reading your next post, for the install.

I need to go to bed in Canada now, so I will read more about your directions later, and apt-get!

Thanks.

Krytarik
February 28th, 2012, 10:04 AM
So, I will have to read through which of the suggests, I might want, and then tweak, as you say.
I definitely wouldn't apply the "--install-suggests" option, as that would install all 'suggests' of all 'dependencies', 'recommends', and 'suggests'! You would end up with the very thing you are trying to avoid: a system mixed out of XFCE and Gnome packages, plus many many more that aren't even installed by a regular Ubuntu or Xubuntu CD!

I have been taught to use aptitude. Is that OK too?
I, myself, wouldn't use "aptitude", as I don't have any experience with it, and it seems like it isn't really needed anymore, for intelligently solving dependency conflicts; "apt-get" does that well enough, it seems.

Addition: Oh, I see you've decided to go with "apt-get" now, better that is. :P

mikodo
February 28th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I definitely wouldn't apply the "--install-suggests" option, as that would install all 'suggests' of all 'dependencies', 'recommends', and 'suggests'! You would end up with the very thing you are trying to avoid: a system mixed out of XFCE and Gnome packages, plus many many more that aren't even installed by a regular Ubuntu or Xubuntu CD!

I, myself, wouldn't use "aptitude", as I don't have any experience with it, and it seems like it isn't really needed anymore, for intelligently solving dependency conflicts; "apt-get" does that well enough, it seems.OK, with the apt-get

I will do as you say, and stay away from the "universal --install-suggests", as you are right...

I do not want it all; but a more "vanilla install", without Gnome packages.

I will read up more closely, on the following, later:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...apt-get.8.html (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/en/man8/apt-get.8.html)

:>)

Dr Watts On
February 29th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Hello! Just found this post, will be acting upon the data here. This makes me feel much more confident about what to expect. I just posted more questions to that Unity appearing on desktop thread.
Does GTK mean Gnome Tool Kit?? If so, then I take it vanilla + Xfce means no Gnome progs will run. I am hoping that's ok for this laptop that's supposed to be a tool for a 17yr old kid to use for school? He should be getting it back next weekend when my neighbor visits him (I don't know him and don't expect further involvements).
Will subscribe to stay alert to this thread till I get stuff rolling.
You folks have been great.
DrWattsOn

snowpine
February 29th, 2012, 12:28 AM
GTK is not really a "Gnome package" and nothing to be scared of. If you are in doubt just install xubuntu-desktop and you will have a fully functional Xfce system. :)

Dr Watts On
February 29th, 2012, 12:35 AM
if ur still watching: could you post resp also to my latest (other questions) in the thread on "Unity appeared suddenly" thread? If not, still need confirmed: what the GTK letters stand for, and what the X in Xubuntu stands for (that's why I
'm asking you to ref my ??? in the other thread. Also re the diff btwn XFCE and Xubuntu Logons offered by stock Xubuntu install / live cd
DrWattsOn

snowpine
February 29th, 2012, 12:38 AM
if ur still watching: could you post resp also to my latest (other questions) in the thread on "Unity appeared suddenly" thread? If not, still need confirmed: what the GTK letters stand for, and what the X in Xubuntu stands for (that's why I
'm asking you to ref my ??? in the other thread.
DrWattsOn

GTK = GIMP Took Kit
X in Xubuntu = Xfce

The wikipedia pages on each of these projects will give you more info. :)