PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.10 Re-installation/booting problem

sztypettto
February 28th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Good Morning,

I recently re-installed Ubuntu 11.10; the second time. And began installing updates from Software updates. However upon restarting the system, the Ubuntu logo would appear and it wouldn't continue from there. I promptly began re-installation but there's a problem, it won't detect the partitions of my hard-drive and I certainly don't want to erase the entire HDD to risk deleting my valuable data.

Upon trying the demo of Ubuntu I can see the partitions from the disk Utility in the dashboard. And even browse through all the files of every partition of the HDD. But during installation none of the partitions from the HDD where Ubuntu was previously installed show up. This is not the case for other 2 HDDs:
1. Windows XP installed, all partitions visible
2. Additional data storage, all partitions visible.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

I wish to re-install Ubuntu 11.10. Successful booting of the current installation is out of the option, for I know it will mess up something in the future.

Screenshots by evening. As soon as I reach home.

System:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz HT (LGA 775)
Mobo: D965LT
GPU: XFX 5670 1 GB
RAM: 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz
HDD#1: Western Digital 80 GB IDE 7200 RPM (Crappy Windows XP SP2)
HDD#2: Western Digital 250 GB IDE 7200 RPM (Data)
HDD#3: Seagate 1 TB SATA (Here's the problem: 2 separate NTFS partitions, 1 Extended partition = Ubuntu ext4, swap space, 1 NTFS partition, a partition which shows I have 1 million TB capacity [give me a break])

Ubuntu Forever!

But at least don't let us down at times.

Sincerely,